Maya2018 whatWorks/whatNot

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

08 August 2017
Deleteing shaders deletes the object. I've seen this bug before a few years ago. 

08 August 2017
VP2 will lock up on heavy scenes, freezing the UI. 

Whenever you add an object to the scene, VP2 decides to load the entire scene, object by object and that's when the freeze can occur. 

I went from a Quadro K2200 to a Quadro P4000 hoping performance would improve but alas VP2 doesn't exactly scale well.

09 September 2017
Arnold ignores the Maya lights.decayRate attribute and no longer offers its own Arnold lights.decayType attribute.
This is of course totally unacceptable. I have large scenes which are based on lights with no decay. These scenes have
formerly been rendered with MentalRay. And now, what?

Can Arnold please accept NO DECAY, as it did with Maya2017?

09 September 2017
Never mind. Wrong thread.

09 September 2017
Originally Posted by Hamburger: Everything dissapears in the viewport 2 when xray mode is on. 

Lambert1 shaders, and primitives.
Quadro P4000 and latest WHQL drivers.
What is your VP2 transparency algorithm  set to?  There is a bug logged with xray and VP2 transparency set to Alpha Cut.
EDIT: Never mind, y'all saw that, should've kept reading

Last edited by BassIsBass : 09 September 2017 at 08:09 PM.

09 September 2017
Experience with maya 2018 so far:

https://app.box.com/s/9vweb1mceez4vxbagja5dzbgaeq3mm14

(10Mb download, sorry about the size!)

09 September 2017
Originally Posted by sciLoop: Arnold ignores the Maya lights.decayRate attribute and no longer offers its own Arnold lights.decayType attribute.
This is of course totally unacceptable. I have large scenes which are based on lights with no decay. These scenes have
formerly been rendered with MentalRay. And now, what?

Can Arnold please accept NO DECAY, as it did with Maya2017?
Have you tried directional lights? They have no decay option and are constant with no decay.

09 September 2017
Originally Posted by mattmos: Experience with maya 2018 so far:

(10Mb download, sorry about the size!)
Ouch! Well that's unfortunate. That's a Beta PR, have you tried getting that crash with latest public release of 2018 Update 1?

09 September 2017
Hi Mike,

whoops, I meant to post the vanilla maya 2018 version of that clip here. here's the same thing in 2018 update 1:

At this point I'm completely stuck, apart from maybe updating to windows 10 which I'm loath to do as I lose more vram compared to 7 pro.

09 September 2017
Originally Posted by BassIsBass: Have you tried directional lights? They have no decay option and are constant with no decay.
Yes, I mentioned that in another thread. The directional light indeed has no decay. But I have a lot of point light in my old scenes...and I just cannot adjust all these scenes, that would just be too time consuming...

backwards compability here, please

09 September 2017
Arnold does not care about backwars compability.. even point releases can break... im fine with that... use a old version if you need...

09 September 2017
Originally Posted by oglu: ... im fine with that...
You are, I`m not.

09 September 2017
Am I too stupid or is it correct that Arnold does not render the  nParticle cloud type?

Ah, wait, found the relevant website:

Originally Posted by solidAngle website: Blobby, Cloud, Tube, Numeric and Streak are not supported.
The particle cloud shader is not supported.

So, this is a massive : make that work! How on earth am I supposed to use Arnold if it lacks these base features!?

09 September 2017
I'm sure they're working towards basic compatibility, but might take a few years. Autodesk didn't exactly have a lot of options. Mental Ray was stagnate, Vray refuse to sell to them, Renderman surely would have refused as well. Corona doesn't even have a fully functional maya plugin yet, Redshift screws over all higher-end renderer feature users who have CPU render farms, same with Octane.

Maybe what Autodesk should have done was cut the price of maya and just not include a render engine...but then that wouldn't align with their upcoming cloud strategy.

That said, I sure wouldn't use Arnold. Too expensive to render at scale and doesn't support base features.

09 September 2017
soooo, is Renderman the best solution, does it support all Maya features?
(sorry for this 'compare-like question)

reply share thread