Maya2018 whatWorks/whatNot

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

07 July 2017
Maya2018 whatWorks/whatNot

first impression:

what works not:
- nodeEditor: still no container support ( and still one of the most needed functionality at least for me)
- hypergraph: moving a node inside a container can still result in the whole container being moved (not in the same direction)

what works:
- obviously, the 'too many attributes on custom node lead to various errors' problem is gone : )
- The layout of nodes in a container is no longer lost in Hypershade

whats great:
- crashing Maya gives now the stack trace of the last function calls in the output window, wooooo...
- for many, many years I thought it would have been my bad programming that makes Maya scenes, which have my own custom
dataType (MPxData), crash when I close these scenes or close Maya. It took me a lot of time ( I mean __a_lot__ ) to find the reason, but I failed.
And now, with Maya2018, the crashes are gone, great!

Last edited by sciLoop : 08 August 2017 at 04:56 PM.

08 August 2017
still the same bug introduced in Maya2017: When opening a scene, the docked hypershade disappears.

Open the hypershade and dock it somewhere (i.e. between the viewports and the timeslider).
Save your workspace
Make a shpere and save the scene.
Restart Maya (the hypershade will be docked and all is fine)
Open a scene (i.e. your saved sphere-scene)
Boom - your hypershade disappears and your viewports get streched

I made a shelf-button for restoring my workspace, but that workaround is annoying.

Perhaps anyone has an idea for a fix?

08 August 2017
I've been impressed with 2018 so far. The team did a great job IMO.

I wish there was some sort of way to create containers or node groups in the hypershade and node editor :( Every other node editor on the market lets you do it

08 August 2017
I would like to give Maya 2018 a huge thumbs up for for adding bullet solver to mash and fixing a ton of bugs. Maya devs did a great job!

08 August 2017
Everything dissapears in the viewport 2 when xray mode is on.

Lambert1 shaders, and primitives.
Quadro P4000 and latest WHQL drivers.

08 August 2017
Instanced lights no longer supported in VP2. :(

Vray supported light instancing but yet Autodesk decided to break it. It still renders but nothing shows up in the VP2.

Never understood why light intsances aren't supported in Maya! It's 2017!

08 August 2017
Ha, now I see that the bug is officially fixed.

Quote: MAYA-83391 API : TdagObject.attr has a limit of 260 attributes that can be added on a node

How great is that, thanks guys!
(the weird resulting behavior took me hours to get to the bottom of the problem)

edit: I have no idea about the long time future of Maya, but this release seems to be what is a good foundation.

Last edited by sciLoop : 08 August 2017 at 09:42 AM.

08 August 2017
Above posted Xray mode bug was confirmed by Autodesk - it's because of the alpha cut mode.

08 August 2017
what works not:
- hypergraph: MMB from one node to another to open the connection editor doesn`t work anymore.
There is no dialog so the connection editor could be opened...

08 August 2017
Most people shouldn't have alpha cut on, anyway. It's useful if you have a lot of overlapping alpha cutouts (eg. planar trees and grass), but for most people it just breaks transparency.

They didn't make it the default, did they? It's a special case optimization for certain types of scenes, and it's completely unsuitable for general use. (You can turn it off in VP2 settings.)

08 August 2017
Today I tried to open a scene which has like 60 references (which themselves have references of identical type in them).
This was no problem in Maya2016 sp1 (I never really touched Maya2017 as it was full of bugs).

Now, in Maya2018 I get crashes every time with the following message from visual studio:
'Unhandled exception at 0x0000000072F8EE68 (nvoglv64.dll) in maya.exe: Fatal program exit requested.'
I updated my graphics card driver, but without luck.
So, what can I do?
Who is responsible for that problem, AD or nVidia?
I searched the net and found that the nvoglv64 dll seems to be responsible for crashes elsewhere.
But, no idea if thats related to my crashes...

For me, this again is a total show stopper. I cannot switch to Maya2018 if this problem persists...

edit: I should add that its no problem to open files with fewer references ...but I did not try to find out whats
the critical reference number in my case...

edit: as these references are filled with many of my custom nodes, its would be problematic to send the files to AD...

Last edited by sciLoop : 08 August 2017 at 05:23 PM.

08 August 2017
You should start another thread so you don't hijack this one, but I'd start by disabling "load references" when you load the scene so it doesn't load everything at once, and then load referencesbit by bit to narrow down the problem.

08 August 2017
Middle mouse click and drag doesn't clone the object 50% of the time.

08 August 2017
gfk: initially loading only the top level reference nodes and than later all child reference nodes works.
But it takes quite a while to be done using mel...

So, this is a bug, haha...lets see whether I will invest time again to prepare a scene for a bug report

reply share thread