Maya2017 whatWorks/whatNot

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

08 August 2016
Is anyone else seeing lag in tumbling with VP2, even with a simple cube? I left click drag and it takes Maya a couple of seconds to kick into gear.

It means when tumbling, that it starts off at about .2 fps then goes to like 100+. It stays at .2fps for a second or two. Tried a couple of drivers but it's all the same on a Quadro K series.

08 August 2016
I recall seeing something like that in 2016.5, that I had to switch to DX11 to work around. I can't get it to happen now, but give it a try.

Also, turn on echo commands in the console and make sure nothing is spamming commands. For example, MASH makes undo very laggy if it's loaded at all, even if you're not using MASH at all, which becomes visible in the console.

08 August 2016
Brilliant idea gfk, and as such, found the culprit;

mayaHasRenderSetup;
// 1 //

Basically it pauses Maya for a second or two. It seems this scriptjob or whatever is initialised somewhat randomly between panning and tumbling in the VP and is the cause of this slow down. Will probably move back to legacy render layers I think for now.

Edit: Unfortunately switching back to legacy render layers doesn't do anything, it still runs in the background and freezes Maya;

mayaHasRenderSetup;
// 0 //

Last edited by Hamburger : 08 August 2016 at 02:35 AM.

08 August 2016
I'm not seeing that here. Seems like something installing a listener and not uninstalling it correctly...

08 August 2016
Thanks for testing on your end, mayaHasRenderSetup was being called after every marquee selection was made over here which was causing the slowdown.

Ended up deleting prefs and it went away. I always use clean prefs when each new release of Maya comes out, so it didn't occur to me that it could be a prefs issue because I've only been testing 2017 for 30 minutes or so!

Edit: It came back. It looks like it really is a bug after all.

Last edited by Hamburger : 08 August 2016 at 04:57 AM.

08 August 2016
U know whats really interesting to me guys that after like 4 pages of writing no1 from AD didnt reply to any of these serious bugs....

like i always say/do, i usually wait for SP, coz these 1st rlses are like hell...

cheers

08 August 2016
Originally Posted by bazuka: U know whats really interesting to me guys that after like 4 pages of writing no1 from AD didnt reply to any of these serious bugs....

like i always say/do, i usually wait for SP, coz these 1st rlses are like hell...

cheers

First - if everyone would do that, then SP1 really would contain no bug fixes, since literally no one would be reporting them.
Second - AD apathy really makes everyone adopt point 1.

08 August 2016
Originally Posted by bazuka: U know whats really interesting to me guys that after like 4 pages of writing no1 from AD didnt reply to any of these serious bugs....

Not true, check the main Maya 2017 thread here, there are replies and even workarounds posted by AD staff.

08 August 2016
yea i saw, only one post? what about other 3 pages of bugs?

dont wanna be an asshole, but some of the bugs looked to me like a basic, what i wanna say, i cant believe they didnt had any1 there to like check maya before rlsing it?

also they could call u guys to join the beta, do some basic checks, im sure u would found them...

08 August 2016
Please don't divert the thread. Let's stick to comparing notes about the issues we're seeing, and not turn the thread into yet another useless "man how I hate Autodesk" rant thread.

08 August 2016
Originally Posted by gfk: Please don't divert the thread. Let's stick to comparing notes about the issues we're seeing, and not turn the thread into yet another useless "man how I hate Autodesk" rant thread.

Indeed.

Reporting bugs through the bug tracker is the best way forward. Bringing them to attention here so that other users know to avoid them (or can confirm they can reproduce them) is also useful. Moaning about how 'things should be' is not useful. I was a beta tester for another app for a couple of years so I'm very aware it's impossible for testers to find all bugs, they are a much smaller group of users compared to all the people using the release versions and there are only so many hours in the day.

08 August 2016
Originally Posted by Stellios: line 1: No module named PySide #

halp

Are you using externally created scripts or directly in mayas script editor?

If external, it may be that the module is missing from the Maya python folder.

Have you copied the PySide folder from your Python install folder to the site-packages folder in mayas folder structure?

08 August 2016
I think this might be relavant to a "what doesn't work" topic. With the implementation of Arnold as the primary renderer, the Bifrost Liquid Shader no longer works. At all.

08 August 2016
Originally Posted by BurrowsTD: Are you using externally created scripts or directly in mayas script editor?

If external, it may be that the module is missing from the Maya python folder.

Have you copied the PySide folder from your Python install folder to the site-packages folder in mayas folder structure?

hmaya already replied to that post earlier in the thread. Maya 2017 moved to Qt5 & PySide2. You'll need to fix your scripts to account for that.

08 August 2016
I recently 'heard' that the AD guys also listen to us (non-big-company) users.
So, one more try:
How am I supposed to work with Maya2017 (Maya2016.5) when all my work is based on the 2D arrangement of my node networks and :
1. the nodeEditor does not support containers
2. the hypergraph and the old hypershade do no longer (2016.5/2017) remember the position of the nodes inside containers?

I need a real answer. I simply cannot do my work without that visual representation...

edit : old hypershade : set environment variable -> MAYA_ENABLE_LEGACY_HYPERSHADE = 1
and hypershade->Tabs->ShowTopAndBottomTabs

reply share thread