Maya2017 whatWorks/whatNot

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

07 July 2016
Maya2017 whatWorks/whatNot

After 5 years, the nodeEditor still does not support containers.
This is such a big joke, I don`t know whats going on with Autodesk.

The hypergraph still does not remember node positions inside containers
(well, he did until back 2 years)

So, dear Autodesk, how am I supposed to graphically work with my node networks?

TELL ME AUTODESK GUYS : HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO WORK WITH MAYA NOW?

07 July 2016
Hotkey Editor reverts hotkeys to Maya defaults on each restart, so you have to open it each time and choose 'User' to get them back.

Auto Frame in Graph Editor is not working.

I've submitted bugs for both of these last night.

07 July 2016
A workaround for mantain the hotkey is assign they to a workspace.

07 July 2016
line 1: No module named PySide #

halp

07 July 2016
Originally Posted by sciLoop: After 5 years, the nodeEditor still does not support containers.
This is such a big joke, I don`t know whats going on with Autodesk.

The hypergraph still does not remember node positions inside containers
(well, he did until back 2 years)

So, dear Autodesk, how am I supposed to graphically work with my node networks?

TELL ME AUTODESK GUYS : HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO WORK WITH MAYA NOW?

SCREAMING ABOUT IT is probably not going to help anything.

07 July 2016
Originally Posted by Stellios: line 1: No module named PySide #

halp

Yep, Maya2017 upgraded to PySide2 and Qt5.6.1. Please "import PySide2".
It means you need to upgrade your python scripts in case you are using pyside.
Find more details here:
https://github.com/PySide/pyside2/w...ipts_to_PySide2

Let me know if you have more questions about PySide2

Cheers,
Zhihao

07 July 2016
thanks,

is it compatable with

import MayaQWidgetDockableMixin

?

# File "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2017\Python\lib\site-packages\maya\app\general\mayaMixin.py", line 307, in setDockableParameters
# workspaceControlName = cmds.workspaceControl(workspaceControlName, label=self.windowTitle(), retain=retain, loadImmediately=True, floating=True, initialWidth=width, initialHeight=height, requiredPlugin=plugins, requiredControl=controls)
# RuntimeError: Object's name 'WorkspaceControl' is not unique. #

07 July 2016
Originally Posted by Stellios: thanks,

is it compatable with

import MayaQWidgetDockableMixin

?

# File "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2017\Python\lib\site-packages\maya\app\general\mayaMixin.py", line 307, in setDockableParameters
# workspaceControlName = cmds.workspaceControl(workspaceControlName, label=self.windowTitle(), retain=retain, loadImmediately=True, floating=True, initialWidth=width, initialHeight=height, requiredPlugin=plugins, requiredControl=controls)
# RuntimeError: Object's name 'WorkspaceControl' is not unique. #

I think so.I can import it:

from maya.app.general.mayaMixin import MayaQWidgetDockableMixin

07 July 2016
The bad window mode on the sculpt dialog, etc. is fixed (in 2016.5 you couldn't maximize, minimize, etc. them), which is good since they've applied this window type to a lot more of the UI as part of the panel feature. HW2.0 rendering is working for me again, too.

The panel UI is definitely a big help. Maya's UI was ancient and a real headache on multiple monitors. Now, you can maximize a panel on each monitor and then arrange different panels in each. You can also place less-used windows in tabs and then minimize the panel of tabs. (For example, I often don't use the graph editor much, but I still want it quickly available when I need it, so I can just keep it in a tab and it's available at one click without taking much screen space.) It seems reasonably sane as far as getting panels to drop into the place you want them to go (a lot of panel UIs are really bad at this). Side panels (eg. the AE/CB windows) behave a bit oddly and there are some other small issues, but it's a big step forward.

I need to check whether minimized tabs take resources (eg. having a UV editor open tends to cause heavier texture loads and can stop GPU override from working--not sure if it knows to disable the tab when it isn't visible). It would be nice to just have everything I need loaded as quick tabs that I can open or close. I don't want the wholesale layout changes that "workspaces" cause.

Not a ton of bugfixes for 2016.5 issues so far. The channel box dragging bugs and weird outliner selection after filtering are still there. The shape editor doesn't show keyframes for blendshape deformers that are in character sets. Undo is still laggy due to problems with MASH (unload it if you aren't using it). I still haven't found the bugfix list for this release...

If you're using "include hierarchy" in render setups, note that it's gone in 2017 and replaced with collection hierarchies, but the auto-conversion isn't perfect. Check and double-check to make sure that your render setups are including the nodes you expect them to be. For example, 2016.5 include hierarchy would walk through character sets, which was usually annoying and it's much better that it doesn't now, but if your scene expected it for some reason it'll be broken now.

shadingEngine nodes now appear in the outliner. I don't know if this is just some setting that got reset or an actual change, but this is good--I always had to jump hoops to access them before since they would never show up in the outliner.

I'm not thrilled about them suddenly changing pyside and giving everyone a bunch of new work to do. They should really include both and give people a release to transition, not just suddenly break compatibility. Hoping the transition is nothing more than changing import statements, but it's QT, so headaches are what I'm expecting.

07 July 2016
Poking at the time editor:

It seems to only let me place keys on a layer on top of the track. Animation layers are important, but other times you'll just want to edit the clip, and it seems like you can't do that yet. You can edit keys in the graph editor, but not normally in the viewport. You also can't drag keyframes on clips around in the time editor, only keyframes on layers, and I can't find any way to add more attributes to an existing clip.

(My guess is that this was intended to handle editing clips, but was limited to importing clips from other files and only editing with layers for this release. Keyframing on clips is actually in the scripts but commented out, so hopefully it'll get better at this in the future. If you're working with mocap data maybe it's okay to not edit the base data, but for keyframe animation you'll really want to be able to edit the clips.)

I can't seem to get pose creation on a track to work: if I move something in the middle of a track and create pose, a pose marker appears in the track, but it doesn't save and the changes are lost when I move the time slider. I also can't seem to see inside poses at all: they can't be expanded like clips and their attributes and key values don't seem to appear anywhere. I have no idea how to edit a pose after creating it. From the documentation it seems like it should interpolate between poses, but this doesn't seem to happen and it just steps from one to the next.

The weight field seems to randomly become enabled and disabled. Just soloing and unsoloing a layer will make it become greyed out when it wasn't before. Not sure what's happening there.

Ghosting doesn't really seem to work: if I create a pose track and ghost that it'll work, but ghosting a regular track won't, even when just keying a simple mesh. I've never had much luck with ghosting in Maya, but it would be really nice if it would work.

You can solo a track, but I haven't found a way to solo a single clip inside a track, eg. to see a single clip without it being blended into another clip.

Overall, it's looking pretty useful, and hopefully it'll get better at editing clips. It's definitely looking like an improvement from the trax editor. I'll keep experimenting with it but probably won't try to use it for much until I see how it irons out through a SP or two, and I'm curious to hear other people's thoughts.

07 July 2016
Originally Posted by gfk: SCREAMING ABOUT IT is probably not going to help anything.

hypergraph thing was filed as bug for 2016.5

07 July 2016
Maya 2017 won't load my Hotkeys when i start maya

Maya 2017 won't load my Hotkeys when i start maya, i have to manually load them every time i start maya .Work around or fix Please.

07 July 2016
Originally Posted by AbsorbentGhost: Maya 2017 won't load my Hotkeys when i start maya, i have to manually load them every time i start maya .Work around or fix Please.

see Post #4..

07 July 2016
Repost from the 2017 thread.

- Hotbox doesn't remember pane specific menus between maya sessions (if they're on or off)
- Viewport2 still has major issues, currently with a simple 4 polygon cube, the framerate can go above 100fps (on a K-series quadro) to .2fps for some reason just by tumbling around. It drags really badly. Using latest WQHL drivers. Maya 2016.5/2016 works fine.
- Hotbox spawns top left of the screen and jumps to the middle, minor but noticeable
- Hotkeys keep reverting back to the maya default set instead of remembering user hotkeys (apparently known bug)
- Major selection issues unless "use camera based selection" is turned on in preferences. With scenes that are set inside most of the time when trying to select an object, Maya will select the biggest object instead (ie floor or ceiling). Have been using Maya since 6 and this never used to happen :(
- In wireframe mode, "camera based selection" should have no effect but it does.
- Maya Render View always pops up when using 3rd party render framebuffer...although this time instead of being able to minimise it and leave it there (2015,2016,2016.5etc..) it floats and becomes a giant blank window.
- Workspaces aren't remembered between Maya sessions (I mean seriously???)
- Tear off menus dont work with expanded menus. Tear off a menu so when the menu floats, expanded menus don't work (ie the options with the arrow > indicator) They appear for a second and then disappear before you can choose an option.

Last edited by Hamburger : 07 July 2016 at 12:13 AM.

07 July 2016
If you have multiple renderable render setups, rendering a sequence will render them all, but they're all output with the "masterLayer" name, so they all get overwritten with the last rendered render setup. Rendering a single frame in the normal way uses the correct filename, with the <RenderLayer> placeholder being replaced with the active render setup. Not sure if there's a workaround, other than rendering each render setup individually, changing the filename string manually each time.

reply share thread