Maya Graph Editor

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 07 July 2014   #1
Maya Graph Editor

Hi all!
I need a favour:
recently I saw that you could manipulate the curves of the Graph editor from an orthographic view (front, etc.) but i don't know how. I tried searching for it but nothing at all.
Maybe I'm wrong, don't know.
Can you help me?
Thanks

Old 08 August 2014   #2
Any panel can be loaded into any viewport. Try going to the Panels menu of the Top viewport, Panels>Panel>Graph Editor.

Is that what you meant?

Old 08 August 2014   #3
Originally Posted by gonzalimator: Any panel can be loaded into any viewport. Try going to the Panels menu of the Top viewport, Panels>Panel>Graph Editor.

Is that what you meant?

Sorry if I answered so late.
Anyway, that wasn't it.
Thanks anyway!

Old 08 August 2014   #4
Maybe you are looking for the Editable Motion Trail? Animation menu>Animate>Create Editable Motion Trail.

It allows you to edit the path of your animated object and it updates the changes in the Graph Editor. The trail updates as you edit keys in the Graph Editor as well. A two-way live connection.

Old 08 August 2014   #5
On the subject of graph editor...
Where the hell is it gone... ?
I have a blank window just with the menu... its the same if it's embedded in a panel...

How can I reset this... ? any ideas... don't want to do the throwing away all prefs...

Cheers,
Alan...

Old 08 August 2014   #6
^ I'd just try closing Maya, taking the Window Prefs file out of the prefs folder and then restarting. That should usually resolve most issues like this without having to delete all prefs.

HTH,
Cheers,
Brian

Old 08 August 2014   #7
Cheers, solved it...
Tried the window prefs first... but that won't solve messed up panel layout errors, just positioning etc I think.

So the issue was I was calling a custom outliner script on startup, this was messing up some other panels then on start up... so I used an evalDeferred for my custom script so Maya could set up its own layouts and panels first and then my script kicks in...
Hey presto, the Graph Editor is back in action.

I also noticed the panel layouts are saved in the userprefs.mel file too.

Cheers.

Old 08 August 2014   #8
Cool, glad you got it sorted out. Nice to see another Maya user in Dubin BTW.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 08 August 2014   #9
Thanks Brian, I'd say there are one or two more than us! ha ha...
Former Softimage(13 years I think...) so new to Maya but have scripting experience (After Effects...)so at least I can change what I don't like as I learn all the new bits and pieces...

Looked at your showreel there, nice stuff. Im a firm believer in the tool not being the issue but you have got to be able to tinker with scripting to tune it up!

Changing the outliner is/was a bit thing for me... Spent half my time in Soft using the explorer... (10 times more advanced than the outliner) - So I have a pile of buttons to filter stuff out immediatly... like images, materials, sgs, and so on...

Old 08 August 2014   #10
Hey thanks for checking out my reel, glad you liked it. Regarding scripting, I'd definitely agree. I do a lot of that here so give me a shout if you need a hand with something, I have a reel for some of the tools I've written in the last couple of years too (assuming it was my animation reel you saw and not this one..)

Regarding the Outliner, yeah I came to Maya from a C4D background and tried to rely on the Outliner like you do the Object Manager in C4D but after a while I realized that there are other managers like the Hypergraph and the new Node Editor that are often more practical in Maya.

Cheers,
Brian

reply share thread