Did they ever fix batch render for 2014 in Mavericks? How about 2015?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

07 July 2014
Did they ever fix batch render for 2014 in Mavericks? How about 2015?

I've been searching around again trying to figure out if Autodesk ever fixed the issue where batch renders would randomly stop on Macs that had upgraded to Mavericks. I still see the issue reported as of 2014 SP3, but I don't see anyone discussing it as of SP4. If not, does anyone know if it's fixed in 2015? I see some batch rendering issues reported for 2015, but they seem to be a little different. IT has a new Mac Pro just sitting there waiting for me, but it won't run anything but Mavericks so we're just sitting here twiddling our thumbs waiting for it to be supported. Thanks for the info.

07 July 2014
We use Maverick at work.
I use 2014 while my teammate uses 2015.

I've observed on and off success with 2015. Compared to 2014 tho, 2015 is a godsend.

I still notice a few hitches now and then. Sometimes her render takes a while to kick off or in rare circumstances it'll crash Maya but still keep the batch render open and keep rendering the frames, which will prevent you from reopening Maya (error -600) unless you quit the batch render.

I'm glad I saw this thread because I've never encountered so many batch render issues until I started working on a Mac. I was convinced there were magnets or something buried under our office.

07 July 2014
have you tried my Maya command line render script for mental ray?:

http://polygonspixelsandpaint.tumbl...ost/72917357683

It does the same thing as the batch render app but uses the terminal with the Render binary and doesn't flake out.

V-Ray for Maya works fine so this is really a mental ray issue with Batch Render I think.

07 July 2014
Yeah, I struggled with this for a long time and ultimately switched to V-Ray because of it. I've talked to autodesk support about it at great length. As usual, it's something they are "aware" of, but have not fixed.

And yes, it is an issue specifically with Mental Ray. I have not had a single V-Ray job stop on me as of yet.

07 July 2014
We sometimes have this issue here with VRay as well. OSX 10.8.5, so no Mavericks and with Maya 2014 Ext SP2.
Funny thing is the longer the frames need to render the lower the chance that the render just stops. Really bad with short render times < 3 minutes.
And this is rendering via the render binary through the command line (sort of).

08 August 2014
Thanks for the replies everyone. I went ahead and setup the new Mac Pro and can confirm the problem still exists. Fortunately I kept my old Mountain Lion Mac Pro on my desk to run out batch renders for now. I'll try the linked script and see if that works for me, thanks again!

08 August 2014
The mental ray team is working on it

http://blog.mentalray.com/2014/08/0...y-for-maya-but/

reply share thread