Maya Light Finder

portfolio
Dario Ortisi
3D modeler and render
Dallara Engineering at Simulator
Italy

modeling for game tools?

Hi there. I have some question for you, ihope you can help me,
I need to modelling a road based to laserscan obj! I think i need to retopology with toolkit in maya 2014! But what technique do you use in this kind of modeling! Curve, loft, bevel from curve? But with loft, the uv on a curve road are weird, is there some automation? Any tips is appreciated, and tools obviously!
thanks!

Last edited by ytsejam1976 : 02-22-2014 at 08:48 AM.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:26 PM   #2
palohman
Frequenter
portfolio
Paul Lohman
Tech Artist
EA
Orlando, USA

If you're modeling this for a game as your title suggest then the road will need to be a poly mesh eventually. So you could start by importing your scan data mesh, making it a live surface and drawing a curve on it. You could draw one curve down the middle of the road and extrude a nurbs surface along it, or draw multiple curves along the length of the road, and loft between them. Since it's will most likely need to be a poly mesh for the game to use it, you'll need to convert the nurbs surface to a mesh. At that point you can edit the UVs. The easiest first step would be to use the unfold tool and constrain one of the axises, which ever axis run across the road, so you'll first unfolding along the length of the road. That should fix what ever "weird" issues your having.

Without more details on what your trying to do I can suggest some stuff to give you ideas.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8vMFpTYzAk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbfPZgpYmZE#t=497
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEQujyivsOg

Old 02-22-2014, 05:21 PM   #3
ytsejam1976
Maya Light Finder

portfolio
Dario Ortisi
3D modeler and render
Italy

@palohman
Thank you for the answer.
let me explain, I think I made ​​the wrong question. I know the nurbs modeling in maya and the polygonal quite well. I know that for a game model is poly, but what I was wondering is if there was a workflow different from my experience in architectural modeling. For example if I do a loft between two curves, in many cases, even if the curves are reconstructed and with the same number of CV's, where the angle of the curve is tight, the mesh does not seem to be correct, and as if making a offset curve is not parallel. Instead if I use the bevel in a curve, the mesh appears to be correct and also map the uv's is easier. The problem arises when I have to create a loft, for example, a road, following three curves, one external, one central, one internal, I mean hilly road. Look at this picture, the first two curves and the second with 3. Then after, I will arrange my cv's to avoid this defect.
There is a workflow that I missed?
TrackMaker is awesome. it's create an loft, extrusion from profile or what?
Thanks.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:41 PM   #4
palohman
Frequenter
portfolio
Paul Lohman
Tech Artist
EA
Orlando, USA

ah, gotcha, and after trying out lofting between 3 curves the length of the road I got a similar issue to what you're seeing.
I wrote a tool to help make rivers a few years ago that I remember having solved this issue, at least in the way it needed to worked.
I draw down a curve, then the tool made two offset curves on either side of the first curve. Then lofted between the two offset curves. Keeping history on all of it so I could then move the first curve to edit the path and the offset curves to adjust the width and cross slope.
I think the trick was really in the nurbs tessellation options.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:22 PM   #5
ytsejam1976
Maya Light Finder

portfolio
Dario Ortisi
3D modeler and render
Italy

So, your tool make: offset from center curve on external and internal, make a smooth curve? and after that the loft with "fit" on poly conversion.
It's correct do you use smooth curve for regular cv's? Or i'm wrong?

Thanks

Old 02-22-2014, 09:37 PM   #6
palohman
Frequenter
portfolio
Paul Lohman
Tech Artist
EA
Orlando, USA

the curves are cubic not linear, if thats what your asking

Old 02-22-2014, 09:37 PM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread