Convert 3D projection into UV mapping

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2014   #1
Convert 3D projection into UV mapping

Hello,

Could anyone tell me how to convert a 3D prjection texture into casual UV mapping? I've got a 3D projection set up which look s good, and now I need to move it to other software. Mudbox and Cinema 4D have such nice features. How to do it in Maya?

Cheers,
Beny

Old 02 February 2014   #2
Use Lighting/shading -> Batch Bake to bake your procedural or 3d projected texture into a bitmap texture, using your active UV channel

Old 02 February 2014   #3
An alternative to baking them is to select your geometery, then the shader, and in the hypershade under edit you will find "Convert to File Texture (Maya Software)".

Old 02 February 2014   #4
Hi guys, thanks for the answers. Actually I wasn't precise enough in my question - sorry about that. What I actually need as not as simple, even though from what I asked your suggestions are 100% valid. The thing is what I need it to modify the UV itself, not the texture. As the result I expect to have my file node unchanged, no new files are created. The only thing which changes is my UV of the mesh - it should restructure itself in UV texture editor on the bitmap provided to look like it is projected from the projection node. Sort of if I made planar projection mapping from the texturing menu, but based on the 3D projection node from the hypershade. I hope this clears the issue I'm having.

Thank you,
Beny

Old 02 February 2014   #5
Couple thoughts;
1. Texture projection is not UV layout. So don't use it unless you want the texture placement to be dynamic, like projecting a movie on a moving train car.(There are other more common uses, but my point is that they're not for standard texture placement.)
2. The create uv layout menu has several of the same projection types as the place3dTexture node "projType" options. i.e - Planar, Cylindrical, Spherical, and Automatic(Cubic). You should be able to quickly recreate the projections using the create uv layout projections by moving the tool widgets to match your place3dTexture node's transforms.
3. You should know though that the result can not always be the same since UV's can only split at their connected edges and the fidelity is only as high as the mesh's.(as opposed to per pixel in the case of texture projection)
4. If you have a TA on hand that knows mel or better they should be able to write a you script to do a best case conversion, but I wouldn't suggest it.

Old 02 February 2014   #6
Originally Posted by palohman: Couple thoughts;
1. Texture projection is not UV layout. So don't use it unless you want the texture placement to be dynamic, like projecting a movie on a moving train car.(There are other more common uses, but my point is that they're not for standard texture placement.)
2. The create uv layout menu has several of the same projection types as the place3dTexture node "projType" options. i.e - Planar, Cylindrical, Spherical, and Automatic(Cubic). You should be able to quickly recreate the projections using the create uv layout projections by moving the tool widgets to match your place3dTexture node's transforms.
3. You should know though that the result can not always be the same since UV's can only split at their connected edges and the fidelity is only as high as the mesh's.(as opposed to per pixel in the case of texture projection)
4. If you have a TA on hand that knows mel or better they should be able to write a you script to do a best case conversion, but I wouldn't suggest it.

Hello Paul, thank you for the ideas. I use texture projections very often. Mostly because of my archaic background when using NURBS surface made sense and the projection nodes allowed the only reasonable texturing of those. I still think that this is very useful technique for quick replicating complicated surfaces basing on reference images when there is no time for any roto modelling, and you need to mix multiple projections on one surface, and it is enough to use texture reference objects to use the technique on deforming meshes. Nevertheless, I agree with you that converted UVs would never be mathematically identical, but what I need is to get it just very similar for the eye. I think you are right in the Ad. 4 - scritping it would be the only solution from my point of view too. I do script a little bit, as a day without a script I consider a wasted day , so I'd probably go with your suggestion and make a tool like that

Thank you all guys for your help. I guess there is no out of the box solution to this problem, and I need to script it ... which I was about to do anyways

Cheers,
Beny

Old 02 February 2014   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread