New to character animation - Need help

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2014   #1
New to character animation - Need help

Hi there,

I'm currently working on a character, which I want to animate. But except for some camera movement animations, I have NO experience with animation what so ever.
I will watch a lot of tutorials, but unfortunately my character needs specific approaches, I guess.

Here is my character (WIP):

The first things I want to do is to make the eyes work.
Now the eyes are just a texture, and I believe maybe that's the best option to go with, as the character doesn't have any eye sockets, and basically I wouldn't know how else to do this.
How would you do this? Is it possible to use blend shapes for textures only? Or is that silly?

The second thing is that I need to make him able to move. How do I rig his lower body? Can I put a sphere inside him and use it as a bone or something? I don't want him to hop when he moves but more like shoving / hobbling (not sure how to explain this in words lol).

I would love to see some ideas and maybe get some useful tips or links.

Thanks for reading!
Most updates here

Last edited by FerryP : 01 January 2014 at 01:27 PM.

Old 01 January 2014   #2
oops.........

Old 01 January 2014   #3
Originally Posted by fleabay: oops.........

???..........
Most updates here

Old 01 January 2014   #4
This is the rig so far. It still needs a lot of work, because the weights are poor, and the movements are not always doing what I want them to do.
Again..pointers are really welcome.

Still no solution for the eyes, except for my idea with animated textures and blend shapes.

Thanks!
Most updates here

Old 01 January 2014   #5
Originally Posted by FerryP: This is the rig so far. It still needs a lot of work, because the weights are poor, and the movements are not always doing what I want them to do.
Again..pointers are really welcome.

Still no solution for the eyes, except for my idea with animated textures and blend shapes.

Thanks!

Looking good, no idea how you do it, but great work so far!

NVus Designs - Inspiration for 3D Visualization and Architecture!

3D Visualization & Art
Interior & 3D Facebook

Old 01 January 2014   #6
Because an image can say more then a thousand words, I try and hope to explain my problem with these gifs.

Hand rotation (goes well)

Arm + Hand rotation (goes well)

Arm rotation + elbow (goes well)
[/spoiler]

Hand rotation + elbow (GOES WRONG)
[/spoiler]

So when I have the circle that controls the hand alone, it works great.
When I have the circle which controls the IK-handle, it works great.
If I want to have them both, it goes (terribly) wrong :(

Any ideas??
Most updates here

Old 01 January 2014   #7
Hey can post a screen of your hierarchy? Makes it easier to see what goes wrong. For the eyes you could try to connect the uv offset to a controller.

Old 01 January 2014   #8
from your images it seems that there's lot of un-wanted parts of your model affected by the bones in your skeleton's wrist, so this leads to a conclusion, right now it seems that you lack the basic's of how to skin a character.

Try this: https://www.google.com/search?q=maya+skinning+tutorial

watch a bunch of those and then decide what's the best way to tackle your character's skinning

after you gain the basic knowledge you can ask more precise questions hence it'll be much easier to help you :-)

happy learning

/risto

Old 01 January 2014   #9
Originally Posted by ristopuukko: from your images it seems that there's lot of un-wanted parts of your model affected by the bones in your skeleton's wrist, so this leads to a conclusion, right now it seems that you lack the basic's of how to skin a character.

Try this: https://www.google.com/search?q=maya+skinning+tutorial

watch a bunch of those and then decide what's the best way to tackle your character's skinning

after you gain the basic knowledge you can ask more precise questions hence it'll be much easier to help you :-)

happy learning

/risto

Thanks! I will do that and see if it helps a bit. But I doubt that the problem I now have has anything to do with the weights, because it also goes wrong when I only use the bones before I skin my character.

Originally Posted by ralphymeijer: Hey can post a screen of your hierarchy? Makes it easier to see what goes wrong. For the eyes you could try to connect the uv offset to a controller.

Will do that first thing upcoming monday. Thanks!
Most updates here

Old 01 January 2014   #10
If you can share your skeleton rig scene, it would be easier to see what's going on :-)
Can you ?

/risto

Old 01 January 2014   #11
Originally Posted by ristopuukko: If you can share your skeleton rig scene, it would be easier to see what's going on :-)
Can you ?

/risto

Good point.
The scene I made is set up as I think it should work, although you will notice that it doesn't work all that good :\

Hopefully you can tell me what I did wrong.

Download the scene HERE

Originally Posted by ralphymeijer: Hey can post a screen of your hierarchy? Makes it easier to see what goes wrong. For the eyes you could try to connect the uv offset to a controller.

As requested:

Click on the image for full resolution or click HERE.
Most updates here

Old 01 January 2014   #12
Thank you

I'm at work right now so unable to take a look but I'll check it through as soon as I get back home tonite.

/risto

Old 01 January 2014   #13
Originally Posted by ristopuukko: Thank you

I'm at work right now so unable to take a look but I'll check it through as soon as I get back home tonite.

/risto

Thanks man! Much appreciated!
Most updates here

Old 01 January 2014   #14
Hi Ferry

So it seems that you are a bit lost in basic concepts altogether.

You've tried to achieve inverse kinematics control with forward kinematics methodology and frankly it just doesn't work that way.

You must fall back to your books and learn the basics of rig building.

And I mean the basics : your skeleton is correct for your model but you're completely lost with your controls so pickup the basic courses ( youtube, some online school, best yet a decent book ["Maya 4.5 savvy" is the best I've encountered this far], whatnot ) and teach yourself first the difference in inverse kinematics and forward kinematics and you're good to go.

You're in fact half way there already but you've missed the basics.

And remember, it's all made by a human being, so there's no reason whatsoever you shouldn't be able to grasp it :-)

Happy rigging.

/risto

Old 01 January 2014   #15
Originally Posted by ristopuukko: Hi Ferry

So it seems that you are a bit lost in basic concepts altogether.

You've tried to achieve inverse kinematics control with forward kinematics methodology and frankly it just doesn't work that way.

You must fall back to your books and learn the basics of rig building.

And I mean the basics : your skeleton is correct for your model but you're completely lost with your controls so pickup the basic courses ( youtube, some online school, best yet a decent book ["Maya 4.5 savvy" is the best I've encountered this far], whatnot ) and teach yourself first the difference in inverse kinematics and forward kinematics and you're good to go.

You're in fact half way there already but you've missed the basics.

And remember, it's all made by a human being, so there's no reason whatsoever you shouldn't be able to grasp it :-)

Happy rigging.

/risto

haha...thanks! I did follow some tutorials, such as this one and this one.
I thought they were pretty good, but I guess I went wrong somewhere.

I'm thinking of taking an online lesson in Rigging, any course you would recommend?
This is the one I'm thinking of now: http://www.lynda.com/Maya-tutorials...a/122440-2.html

Thanks again for your time!
Most updates here

Thread Closed share thread