Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 12-23-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
damjan
Frequenter

Damjan
vienna, Austria

change default viewport lighting?

I am new to maya, and one thing that bothers me - is that regardless of the viewport renderer, the default light looks rahter dull.
(Coming from a max background - there it is the same, but i gave up finding a way to change it..)
My wish would be a 3-point light setup, that links to the view camera and doesnt interfere with render lights - is there a script/plugin out there?

Old 12-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
klaudio2u
Expert

portfolio
Klaudio
Croatia

I think that is not possible. With some script or something perhaps yes but as is...it's as is.

It would be very nice to have couple of default material/lightning presets for viewport when modeling and not only that dark gray lambert material which is actually very bad for viewing mashes when modeling...at least it is for me.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
InfernalDarkness
Madness. Madness, I say!

portfolio
Sho Pi
CG arch/viz
Seattle, USA

It's pretty simple to do something like this, however you don't need a script or anything to do so. Simply set up your lights in a blank scene, attach them to your camera and save the scene, and either start new scenes off with this as your default or import the lights and link them to your camera afterwards.

I do this type of thing with my material shaders. I have a default scene for kitchens and another for bathrooms, which have most of the shaders I generally use already set up. It really saves time!

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Last edited by InfernalDarkness : 12-23-2013 at 10:59 PM.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:53 AM   #4
damjan
Frequenter

Damjan
vienna, Austria

that would work, but only if i can split render and viewport light later on?
so that later placed render lights dont interfere with the viewport, and my viewport rig doesnt show up in the render..
is that possible?

Old 12-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #5
Panupat
Expert

portfolio
Panupat Chong
Thailand

You'll have to turn them on/off manually I suppose.

Another way would be to create render layers.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:34 AM   #6
cineartist
Student Of The Craft

portfolio
Richard Culver
Hayward, USA

First, just so you know, of course you can have that kind of control on lights. Not only if they render but also what objects they effect and so on. Just as you can with other apps so it is likely something you are familiar with already.

For your view port lights, here are 2 very simple ways I know of to set them up so that they do not render.

First you can simply set the object display to Template in the Attribute Editor. This will work for the default viewport render and viewport 2.0 but not for High Quality.

Another option is to simply put all those lights in a display layer and set it to Template or if you want to use High Quality Viewport then this is an easy way to toggle them on or off as needed for a render

Old 12-31-2013, 01:34 AM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread