Max files to Maya?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2013   #1
Max files to Maya?

I'm thinking about changing from PC to Mac and in that process go from using Max to Maya. Now this will be a huge change, considering all our work at the company is made in Inventor and 3ds Max. Can anyone tell me more about how well/badly max files translate to Maya?
Will I need to build up all the materials, lights etc. from scratch? Are there any problems I need to know about before making this decision?

Old 12 December 2013   #2
all the modifiers are going to be killed, shading net work gone. going to be a lot of rebuilding. fbx and alembic should help with some stuff but i have not seen a full 1:1 max maya interchange, but there could be i thought i saw if you had the autodesk creative package it has a plugin to do so but i never used it. Im sure other people here can shed some light on this.

Old 12 December 2013   #3
Stay using the pc, and use .fbx if anything needs to go to the mac.. if you really need it.

Old 12 December 2013   #4
Thanks guys. Will def. stay on pc then.

Old 12 December 2013   #5
if you're switching to Maya, it won't matter if you're on OS X or Windows because you have the same options for Maya on the Mac as far as export/import goes (FBX or V-Ray scenes). You're not going to get better conversions for Maya on Windows. It will just be slightly easier to do the initial conversion of files but I do this in a virtual machine with no problems. I wrote a MaxScript script to do it for entire libraries of shared stock:

files = getFiles "T:\3D_STOCK\VizPeople_Free_Bonsai_Trees\003\*.max" -- dir with max files
theClasses = exporterPlugin.classes

for f in files do
(
loadMAXFile f;
select objects
if maxFilePath != "" and selection.count > 0 do
(
savePath = maxFilePath
currentname =savePath + maxFileName + ".fbx"
print currentname
exportFile currentname #noPrompt using:theClasses[9]
)
)

Then I just quit Max in my virtual machine and open the FBX files in Maya. If you're using V-Ray, use the .vrscene exporter.

Old 12 December 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread