Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 12-20-2013, 01:37 AM   #1
Horganovski
Freelance Animator/Rigger

portfolio
Brian Horgan
Graphite9
Dublin, Ireland

Hey Maya.. save my preferences already..

It's the little things sometimes.. every time I start up Maya 2014 I have to go to the preferences and switch the Playback Speed from 'Play Every Frame' to 'Real time [24fps]'.

Why does this happen? I've saved the preferences from the dialogue there in the prefs and I've also tried doing it from the file menu, but no luck, every restart I have to do those steps over again. In 2013/2012/2011 I never had this, my preferences 'stuck', but not 2014.. driving me a bit nuts TBH..

Any ideas appreciated as to how to make Maya cooperate here..

Cheers,
Brian

Old 12-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
guccione
Expert

Why does it happen? Because Autodesk doesn't give a toss about you, or anyone else who's already paid for their garbage. All they're willing to work on is new features that they can slap on the package to get more sales with.

After working with some other software - like Houdini - I realized that maya is *shit* for anyone that doesn't know how to re-program it's sloppy-ass code. Select an object to apply a shader to... oh wait, that one object is actually *5 different objects*, and only one of them takes a shader - it's up to you to figure out which one. Fuck these assholes.

Old 12-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
Horganovski

portfolio
Brian Horgan
Graphite9
Dublin, Ireland

Okay.. erm.. I guess I see it as an irritating bug, more than a conspiracy against me
Moving on..

The weird thing is that I've tried editing the UserPrefs file to set the option by default but Maya 2014 seems to ignore that setting, is there another place the prefs are set maybe?

Cheers,
Brian

Old 12-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
mattwood
Frequenter

It's probably related to what a mess they made of framerate preferences whereby the playback settings for just the currently loaded file are accessible through the Preferences dialog, and the global preferences are in the File-->New dialog.

I've hacked around it with a userSetup script, but you could probably use a default scene via the File->New settings

Old 12-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #5
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by guccione
Why does it happen? Because Autodesk doesn't give a toss about you, or anyone else who's already paid for their garbage. All they're willing to work on is new features that they can slap on the package to get more sales with.

After working with some other software - like Houdini - I realized that maya is *shit* for anyone that doesn't know how to re-program it's sloppy-ass code. Select an object to apply a shader to... oh wait, that one object is actually *5 different objects*, and only one of them takes a shader - it's up to you to figure out which one. Fuck these assholes.

Tell us how you really feel...

Old 12-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #6
Horganovski

portfolio
Brian Horgan
Graphite9
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwood
I've hacked around it with a userSetup script, but you could probably use a default scene via the File->New settings

Thanks, File->New doesn't seem to work, any chance you could post an example of your script? I can't figure out how to set that option via MEL currently.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 12-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #7
mattwood
Frequenter

Ah, sorry, it looks like I've misremembered. I've got a bunch of hacks to set framerate correctly where I had to pick through the above mentioned confusion, and some other stuff where I was having a similar problem with prefs persistence, but I didn't mess with this particular setting.

On the plus side, for me at least, it seems to be working properly anyway....

2014 SP1 OSX 10.9
about -v;
// Result: 2014 x64 //
about -c;
// Result: 201306050813-875228 //

Old 12-20-2013, 11:22 PM   #8
Horganovski

portfolio
Brian Horgan
Graphite9
Dublin, Ireland

Thanks anyway, hopefully someone else might have a solution. I seemed to be fighting Maya 2014 on this current job (seem to be getting graphics card driver crashes that I've never run into before) so I ended up reverting the project back to 2013.5 and it's working much better there. Still I'd like to be able to use 2014 for things like Grease Pencil etc.. bummer.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 12-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #9
AnimAitor
PRO

portfolio
Aitoru kun
lead animator, rigger
Japan

Same problem here. Annoying to say the least. I'll stop here or I'll end up talking shit like guccione...

Old 12-30-2013, 07:39 AM   #10
djx
Where's my pony?

David Johnson
vfx & creature td
Melbourne, Australia

I wont use the "C" word, even though this answer may fuel those theories because my prefs are saving correctly in 2014 (windows) and the playback speed pref is no exception.

To figure out why it is failing for you there are a few things you can do.

Try opening userPrefs.mel in a text editor while you still have maya open. Search for "timeSliderPlaySpeed". Make sure there is only a single occurrence of timeSliderPlaySpeed. Make a note of the value it is set to. If maya is currently in 'Play Every Frame' mode, then that value should be set to 0. If in 'Real time [24fps]' then it should be set to 1.

Try changing your pref in the UI and click save. Maya rewrites userPrefs,mel when you do that. Reopen userPrefs.mel in your text editor and see if the value of timeSliderPlaySpeed has changed. If not, maya is failing to write to your prefs file. If it has changed, exit maya and check userPrefs.mel again to make sure the value didnt get reset (since depending on you prefs settings, maya will rewite userPrefs.mel on exit). If you reopen maya and your playback speed is not what was in your prefs file, then maya is not reading it correctly.

Obviously this is not a definitive solution. Maybe it will help you track one down though.

David

Old 12-30-2013, 08:40 AM   #11
AnimAitor
PRO

portfolio
Aitoru kun
lead animator, rigger
Japan

Thanks djx. It does work for "timeSliderPlaySpeed" but if you try to change "Settings/Working Units//Time:" from "Film (24 fps)" to PAL (25fps) it fails to save if you don't save your scene even though "Preferences saved. See Script Editor for details." shows up on the Script Editor.

The other day I looked like a fool from trying to convince a Max user coworker of how great the new features from Maya were but my prefs would not be remembered XD

Old 12-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #12
djx
Where's my pony?

David Johnson
vfx & creature td
Melbourne, Australia

Ok, thats a bit different. The time units are set on a per scene basis. So when you change them you are changing them for the current scene (and they will be saved with that scene).

If you want something to be the default for all new scenes, then next time you go to the "File|New Scene" menu, use its option menu. From there you can set the time units for the new scene. And this works like most of maya's other option menus... What ever options you choose become the new defaults for future use of that menu item - unless you change it later using the option menu.

For some people - maybe those who have used maya for quite a while - this may be a little confusing, because it was not always this way. The time unit setting used to be handled in the global prefs window even though it was saved per scene. Several versions ago they fixed this inconsistency. So for new users and those willing to adapt, it should be more straight forward now.

David

Old 12-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #13
AnimAitor
PRO

portfolio
Aitoru kun
lead animator, rigger
Japan

Didn't realized such new features were added there. Good to know.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #14
Horganovski

portfolio
Brian Horgan
Graphite9
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by djx
..Try opening userPrefs.mel in a text editor while you still have maya open. Search for "timeSliderPlaySpeed". Make sure there is only a single occurrence of timeSliderPlaySpeed. Make a note of the value it is set to. If maya is currently in 'Play Every Frame' mode, then that value should be set to 0. If in 'Real time [24fps]' then it should be set to 1...

I tried this thanks, and it shows me at least that Maya is saving the preference correctly, when I allow Notepad++ to reload the file I can see the value changing. Maya is still ignoring it though when reopened, it always resets back to PlayEveryFrame, even if the value is set to 1. Weird, it's like that preference is being ignored or overwritten somewhere else..

Cheers,
Brian

Old 12-31-2013, 09:00 AM   #15
djx
Where's my pony?

David Johnson
vfx & creature td
Melbourne, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horganovski
it's like that preference is being ignored or overwritten somewhere else
I've had both of those things happen in the past.

One time, it seemed like the prefs file was being ignored... but actually it had become corrupt and was causing maya to stop reading it after a certain point, so just everything after the bad line was being skipped. In that case I was forced to delete userPrefs.mel, because it was too time-consuming to isolate exactly where the corrupt line was. (Actually I tried for a while but gave up)

Another time when I had startup problems I discovered a script was being sourced by my userSetup.mel and was setting a value and leading me to think my prefs were being mis-read. In this case I found the problem by commenting out all the lines in userSetup.mel and progressively uncommenting and restarting maya until I found the problem script.

Sorry again for the vague answer.

David

Thread Closed share thread