maya obj import has issues

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2013   #1
maya obj import has issues

I'm at my wits end regarding Maya's ridiculously terrible obj imports. I have objs that open in practically every software out there but maya insists on having errors like this

"// Error: line 0: OBJ file line 3788317: index out of range for face creation. //"

I'm trying to understand why this is, especially when my buddy opened the same obj file in max with no problems. I maya's importer just crap?Are there any fixes for this? thanks!

Old 12 December 2013   #2
Get your buddy to export it as fbx. Obj is one of those crazy formats that should never have lived on as a universal exchange format. Max's import/export obj plugins are crap too.

David

Old 12 December 2013   #3
I understand that OBJ file formats are not so good but unfortunately my clients tend to give me those formats as they cannot export FBX. Also I've bought some models that only came in obj format. Weird thing is , everything opens in max and I cannot say the same for Maya. Why is that?

Old 12 December 2013   #4
This is actually due to your friend's exporter, not Maya's importer. I use .obj files for work almost exclusively, modeling in Rhino and exporting them over to Maya. One thing I've found over the years, especially working with lots of architects and other designers, is that most CAD programs don't export .objs very well, and .dwg /.dxf formats also suck. Even for example Onyx Conifer exports them poorly, compared to Onyx Broadleaf (same programmers) which does just fine.

So often I import OPG (other people's geometry) into Rhino first, clean it up if necessary and fix the Normals (which you can also do inside Maya, if you prefer), then re-export it as an .obj. These work great inside Maya, and you can fix lots of issues this way.

While you may not have Rhino handy, there should be a trial version or something that may help you, or other applications may also have the same functionality. Just an idea, for you!

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Old 12 December 2013   #5
Hmmm I 'm not sure about that as I can open the OBJ in most software ( Rhino, Max, Modo) Maya is the only program that just doesn't open it. Also It's not just one OBJ file, it seems to be a reoccurring thing with Maya.At least that's what I've noticed. Was looking to see if there were any plugins or way to help use Maya to import stuff.

Old 12 December 2013   #6
Will that same .obj file work in Maya if you import it into Rhino, then re-export it using Rhino's .obj writer? If you analyze the geometry in Rhino, does it cough up any "bad geometry" report?

(I'm sure there are other programs that can do this, Rhino's just the one I'm most familiar with...)

Old 12 December 2013   #7
Honestly I'm not familiar enough with Rhino to do anything in ti. But I did reexport it from Rhino and it works in Maya. But I don't own Rhino and it was a eval version. It's just plain ridiculous that 3 separate softwares can open the OBJ but Maya can't

Old 12 December 2013   #8
Indeed, but it's also not Maya or Autodesk's fault if you're working with a bad mesh. This may not be your fault either, but you'll need to know if you want to keep working with them, right? You don't really have to be familiar with Rhino, simply select your mesh and type "check", then press Enter.

This will tell you what (if anything) is wrong with your mesh:

A simple meshed NURBS sphere:

And here is a faucet that I didn't model, but was imported from the Brizo faucet website:

While this mesh isn't a "bad" mesh, it's an example of how other people's modeling can mess you up. Notice that it spits out a, "Mesh has 3 naked edges." error for us here? Normally naked edges are pretty hot, but in this case this model may not work well with Maya as a result of someone's sloppy modeling.

Usually you just gotta re-export from Rhino like we talked about, but if you need to do more to the mesh to prep it for Maya, you would "Rebuild Mesh" in Rhino.

Old 12 December 2013   #9
What you probably have here is the 3dsmax obj exporter writes out obj's which sometimes contain 'degenerate triangles'. If you go to the first line that Maya complains about in the obj, you will probably see that a face is being defined something like this.

f 3884/965/17965 3886/966/17966 3884/965/17967

Where the first number in each of the 3 sets is the vertex number. Notice the same vertex number is used twice to define the triangle, which would result in a line. Maya says 'No'.

My fix for this garbage is to run the obj through Deep Exploration and use the 'Remove Degenerate Triangles' feature.

Is this the case for you?

Old 12 December 2013   #10
If the .obj isn't perfect in maya's eyes, maya would fail loading it. Funny thing that Alias|Wavefront, the inventors of maya, were the ones to invent this format

MeshLab is a small, light weight, freeware app that can load .obj (among other formats), and export it (to .obj) such that maya can read it (that's my usual pipeline). I use MeshLab as my default model viewer, and it has other useful utilities such as detecting mesh problems and simplification.

Old 12 December 2013   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread