Test Rendering Pipeline

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2013   #1
Test Rendering Pipeline

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help with a fundamental workflow/pipeline question. I'm using V-Ray materials and rendering with V-Ray 2.0 in maya 2012.

I have a complex model with more than a hundred materials that I need to animate. I haven't done any texturing work on it yet. I'd like to do test animation for approval without all the textures just to save on rendering time. I know this is a broad question, but how should I proceed? Should I do the test animations first, and then plug in the materials later? If so, how do I avoid having to manually re-link all of my textures and set the values of each of the vray materials by hand for every shot? Or, should I do all the texturing and set up all the materials in one scene file, and then duplicate that scene file for each shot? And if that's the procedure, what's the best way to limit render time? Should I just render at a low antialiasing setting?

Thanks!

Old 12 December 2013   #2
Are these 3dsMax 'multisubObject' scenes going to Maya?

Old 12 December 2013   #3
could break it up into render layers no need to have a bunch of maya files

Old 12 December 2013   #4
Thanks for the responses! These are going to be handled entirely in maya, so there's no 3ds involved.

I'm not sure I understand your intent, thehive, with render layers. My biggest concern is needing to do a lot of shots. If I animate all the shots independent of one another in different scene files, how would I be able to easily apply all my textures and materials in each of those scene files after they've all been animated? Sorry if this is a newbie question.

Thanks!

Old 12 December 2013   #5
Yes render layer and do a material override. The limitation is that your entire scene would have the same color.

In production we have custom-made tools that could switch materials without any manual task.

Old 12 December 2013   #6
Originally Posted by Panupat: Yes render layer and do a material override. The limitation is that your entire scene would have the same color.

In production we have custom-made tools that could switch materials without any manual task.

Well wouldnt it just do with create a new renderlayer and assign any materials you want to any objects?

when its done its just to delete the the renderlayer with the temporary shaders.
However, what i would suggest is to create a scene with the rigged model, complete with all the shaders assigned. then reference it into each shot, that way u can update it whenever and can still just create new renderlayers in each shot and assign whatever shaders you want to it.

Doing it that way you can also assign all the shaders to you rigged model in that scene and work on it back and forth for how long you want, just reload the reference in the shots scene and your good to go.

Old 12 December 2013   #7
Thanks for all the responses. I think referencing will work perfectly for my workflow. Thanks!

Old 12 December 2013   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread