Mootzoid - first plugin for Maya + introducing myself

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2014   #16
Hello Mootzoid, and welcome! emPolygonizer4 looks really cool, and oddly enough I enjoyed the music with your video too. I'm rather impressed with the texture blending.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Old 01 January 2014   #17
Hey folks,

if nothing unexpected happens tomorrow then, on January 8th 2014, the first beta of emPolygonizer4 will be released. Ta da!

Development of emPolygonizer4 for Maya has been a rather smooth ride thanks to the well documented Maya SDK and the nearly 200 examples it comes with. As far as I am concerned emPolygonizer4 for Maya is fit for production, but it will nevertheless be released as a beta first, in the hope that people who give it a try and report any possible last bugs they might stumble into.

And just to prove that all my above bla-bla is not just empty words:
below is a screenshot from my little working scene. It shows an emPolygonizer4 mesh with UVs in the perspective view, in the Attribute Editor you can see some of the emP4 node parameters and in the Node Editor you can see how things are connected.

Cheers,
Eric.

Last edited by Mootzoid : 01 January 2014 at 06:59 PM. Reason: typo

Old 01 January 2014   #18
Awesome Eric, looking forward to test it out tomorrow!

Old 01 January 2014   #19
Very well done Eric, cheers!

But as I am a slow learner, I do not know _what_ exactly does your tool do ?

Can you elaborate a bit ?

/risto

Old 01 January 2014   #20
Hahah, dat Rabbit! I threw myself away after I (finally) gathered what's happening in your demo video. Amazing plugin!

I switched from XSI to Maya last year, and I had just recently heard about your XSI plugins for the first time. Keep up the good work. Gruß aus Hamburg ^^

Old 01 January 2014   #21
Originally Posted by ristopuukko: _what_ exactly does your tool do ?

emPolygonizer4 is a mesher. It creates polygon meshes based on input particles, nulls, curves and polygon meshes. The typical usage of such a mesher is to mesh particles, for example particles from a liquid simulation.

Below are two example pictures. On the left you can see the inputs (particles for the first picture and nulls + a curve for the second picture) and on the right the polygon mesh that was created based on those inputs.

Here an example of a meshed particle liquid simulation. The rendering was done with Arnold.
The black goo and the yellow thingies are particles that were meshed with emPolygonizer4.

Old 01 January 2014   #22
Hallo Eric,

Can I use an animated character as the source for emPolygonizer4 particles?

I mean, if the stanford bunnies you use in your demo vids, were animated, say running and jumping, would they still be able to fall apart in a fluid way with emPolygonizer4 ?

And, how's fast is emPolygonizer4 maya vs. emPolygonizer4 xsi?

THX.

Old 01 January 2014   #23
@mustique:

Quote: Can I use an animated character as the source for emPolygonizer4 particles?

emPolygonizer4 meshes the particles, it does not animate them. The answer to your question is therefore "yes". You could for instance use Houdini or Softimage ICE to create the particles based on an animated character and then mesh the result within Maya using emPolygonizer4.

Quote: And, how's fast is emPolygonizer4 maya vs. emPolygonizer4 xsi?

The Maya version is faster than the XSI version, because the Maya emPolygonizer4 uses the polygonizer core from one of my other plugins (emTopolizer2). Latter has a more performant and more modern mesher core.

Old 01 January 2014   #24
Hey guys,

The first beta of emPolygonizer4 for Maya is finally available!

Unfortunately my server (or web site, or whatever) is having some hick-ups, so I was not yet able to update the documentation and such things, but the plugin works and can be downloaded here:
Download emPolygonizer4
Online Documentation
The doc is currently for Softimage, but the usage is pretty much the same in Maya, at least concerning the parameter names and what they do.

I also made a video tutorial in which I show the basics of emPolygonizer4:
emPolygonizer4 Video Tutorial (Vimeo)

Note: this post is sort of a pre-official release post. When I finally get my web site to work properly again I will make a new thread.

Hope this new plugin for Maya will turn out to be interesting and useful!

Cheers,
Eric

Old 01 January 2014   #25
This really is excellent news, though I'm here with that most annoying of questions: Are you planning a Mac version at some point?

Ian

Old 01 January 2014   #26
@ian:

Ha, ha, "the" classic question indeed!

Yes, I plan to support Linux 64 bit and OSX 64 bit, too. Those versions will come shortly once the final version of emPolygonizer4 gets released.
The plan is to have the current beta "out in the wild" for about a month or so. Hopefully some people will give it a try and possibly report some last bugs and the like. After that the final version will be built and released and after that I will take care of the Linux and OSX versions.

Old 01 January 2014   #27
Fantastic. I can't ruddy wait.

Good luck with the launch!

Old 01 January 2014   #28
Mootzoid, Thank you for bringing your awesome tools to Maya !

I love your work and I know studios who have worked with you.

Will emTopolizer ever make it to Maya?

Old 01 January 2014   #29
Thanks, Bill!

Pretty sure emTopolizer will make its way to Maya. However it will probably not be before Maya 2015.

Old 01 January 2014   #30
Eric,

Thank you for elaborating.
I've never stumbled on your tools before ( different worlds, you understand :-) ) but this seems quite interesting.

Since you've already used arnold for rendering ( from Maya, I presume ) , do you have any "changing topology" - issues with your mesher ?

/risto

Thread Closed share thread