mavericks

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2013
mavericks

Has anyone installed mavericks on a workstation they use maya 2013 on?

Any hick ups?

Thanks

10 October 2013
I am running Mavericks now and did some testing with the betas. While all previous versions work fine (2013 included) there is a critical issue with Adlm and the 2014 Autodesk software that prevents it from activating the software. It's fine if you upgrade an existing machine but it will fail to activate new licenses for Maya 2014 or Mudbox 2014, etc. Autodesk knows about it and is releasing a fix any day now. This has to do with how Flex does weird shit to try and hide demo licenses from your OS in a partition, I think.

Otherwise, I would say that, if you are fine with your system now, you might want to wait a few weeks because there are a lot of changes to OpenGL in Mavericks that could affect your system or apps. You get a warning that the Adobe Creative Cloud software isn't supported yet but Photoshop CC works fine on my end. And I need Mavericks for Mari AMD support on OS X. It's a solid release and has some amazing tech in it - ( read here: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/10/os-x-10-9/ ). I would just be careful before fixing what isn't broken.

Last edited by cgbeige : 10 October 2013 at 10:16 PM.

10 October 2013
Have you had 2011 running on Mavericks I have a GTX 660 TI in my MP so im a tad hesitant to upgrade

Originally Posted by cgbeige: I am running Mavericks now and did some testing with the betas. While all previous versions work fine (2013 included) there is a critical issue with Adlm and the 2014 Autodesk software that prevents it from activating the software. It's fine if you upgrade an existing machine but it will fail to activate new licenses for Maya 2014 or Mudbox 2014, etc. Autodesk knows about it and is releasing a fix any day now. This has to do with how Flex does weird shit to try and hide demo licenses from your OS in a partition, I think.

Otherwise, I would say that, if you are fine with your system now, you might want to wait a few weeks because there are a lot of changes to OpenGL in Mavericks that could affect your system or apps. You get a warning that the Adobe Creative Cloud software isn't supported yet but Photoshop CC works fine on my end. And I need Mavericks for Mari AMD support on OS X. It's a solid release and has some amazing tech in it - ( read here: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/10/os-x-10-9/ ). I would just be careful before fixing what isn't broken.

10 October 2013
Thanks.

I'm on a 2010 mac pro.

I'm going to upgrade I think. I keep you all posted.

People claim nuke is faster now on mavericks . . .

10 October 2013
Running 2014 sp1 on a Mac Pro with Q4000 card and current (until today) MacBook Pro. No issues yet.

10 October 2013
Ill let you know when i get the mac pro FREAKING FINALLY ! ahhhhh

10 October 2013
cgbeige, Have you tried ZBRush 4R6 on Mavericks? Any issues?

10 October 2013
I am using it fine but I heard someone with an Nvidia card is having issues. Dunno.

10 October 2013
I'm unable to batch render with mental ray for Maya 2013 and Mavericks on two different 15" Retina machines. I'm trying a clean install of Mavericks/Maya 2013 SP2. Anybody else seeing this issue? It's a bit crippling.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by cgbeige: I am running Mavericks now and did some testing with the betas. While all previous versions work fine (2013 included) there is a critical issue with Adlm and the 2014 Autodesk software that prevents it from activating the software. It's fine if you upgrade an existing machine but it will fail to activate new licenses for Maya 2014 or Mudbox 2014, etc. Autodesk knows about it and is releasing a fix any day now. This has to do with how Flex does weird shit to try and hide demo licenses from your OS in a partition, I think.

Ok, so I was having issues migrating my license of Maya 2014 from my older Macbook Pro to a new one and found a workaround/solution for the activation or license transfer utility (LTU). It seems as if when using the LTU for Maya 2014 it is looking for a folder or version for the LTU in a folder called R7 in the Adlm folder within the installation folder for Autodesk applications. That R7 folder is missing. It just doesn't exist. In fact there is a R8, R6 and R5 folders (presumably from my other licenses). I copied the R8 folder to my desktop, renamed it to R7 and placed it back into the Adlm folder. I then ran the LTU from within the Maya 2014 folders and I was able to successfully transfer my license and activate Maya 2014.

Hope this helps!

-Dimos

10 October 2013
the new Maya 2014 SP release that came out a few days ago fixes the Adlm issues with Mavericks and the 2014 Extension was also updated for people on subscription

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by cgbeige: the new Maya 2014 SP release that came out a few days ago fixes the Adlm issues with Mavericks and the 2014 Extension was also updated for people on subscription

Are you talking about SP3? If so I have downloaded that and installed it but it did contain the issue still. If it's something else then I will login to my subscription and d/l the latest installers from there.

Cheers!
-Dimos

10 October 2013
It works fine!
Just uninstall and reinstall SP3!

D

11 November 2013
Unable to batch render in maya 2013

Hello Evan,

I've been having the same issue. I'm unable to batch render on maya 2013 SP2 and unable to activate maya 2014 license.

I heard something about typing code in a mayabatch file but I'm afraid to risk it and corrupt my whole system.

11 November 2013
I'll inquite about the batch rendering issue.

For the activation issue grab the latest SP for Maya 2014 which fixes the license issues on Mavericks so that you can install/activate under 10.9.

Thread Closed share thread