Maya Windows vs Mac OSX

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

10 October 2013
Maya always had worse performance under OSX compared to Linux and Windows. It is supposed to be better under Maverics though isn't it?

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: Maya always had worse performance under OSX compared to Linux and Windows. It is supposed to be better under Maverics though isn't it?

It has the potential to be. But from what I understand you won't get better performance just by installing Mavericks. Maya's biggest issue on OSX isn't OpenGL performance IMHO, it's the sluggish UI that's gimping it. That's something that Autodesk should be able to fix.

10 October 2013
I think the reason is not in Opengl, becouse when u hide all UI elements u give the same FPS in viewport like in Windows, maby its bad realization QT in MAC or its bug from Autodesk , becouse each new version degraded in this .

10 October 2013
Nuke and Mari's Qt UIs are fine on OS X so I wonder if this has more to do with the layers of MEL on top of Qt adding extra overhead.

10 October 2013
That sounds reasonable, but if it was MEL related, wouldn't that affect all platforms? This issue is mac-specific. I used to think it was QT as well, but like you said, there are lots of QT apps on the mac, and none of them exhibit issues like this...

EDIT: Re-read your post. You are suggesting it's MEL + MacQT... Yep that sounds like it could be a winning combination.

10 October 2013
this help line bug seems to affect Mudbox as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNdyNEMtydE

as soon as you hide the status line on Mac, Mudbox speeds up.

10 October 2013
Wow.

I REALLY hope this isn't some "it's a QT bug, so they need to fix it" problem... then again as long as SOMEONE fixes it, that's the important thing.

10 October 2013
Is there another Qt app at the ui scale of maya? Maybe Qt wasn't designed to perform well with a huge app like maya. If that's the case, they better consolidate the many many editors.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by mustique: Is there another Qt app at the ui scale of maya? Maybe Qt wasn't designed to perform well with a huge app like maya. If that's the case, they better consolidate the many many editors.

From a strictly UI perspective, outside of OGL viewport contents, there are many apps larger than Maya, or at the very least of comparable size and complexity.
Nuke and Mari are examples, LW is another (although not as intensive as Nuke, which probably takes the cake), and I believe, but am not sure, Modo is also Qt based. Those are also all OS-X supported AFAIK.

The Foundry seems to have no big issues getting Qt itself on OS-X to be near competitive with win/linux deployments.

Whatever the issue, it sure isn't Qt being flawed when it comes to scaling. You'd be hard pressed to find a more largely acclaimed and well maintained platform than Qt to build apps on when it comes to UI and basic OS facilities, and while for obvious reasons it can be beaten by neatly tailored efforts (at the expense of a ridiculous dev time overhead), it sure isn't a slouch.
That said, it's also not exempt from bugs, nothing that big and complex can be, so it's entirely possible AD simply bumped into something others haven't, or isn't up to the same builds and fixes others might be. It could be something in a similar vein related to OS-X, or it could simply be an issue/bug that they will have to solve on their end.

10 October 2013
Yep there are many Qt apps, but neither Nuke nor Mari is comparable to the many different and exotic ui elements and implementations maya has. Donno about LW.

But yeah, given adsk's track record it probably is something on their part.

10 October 2013
To Kees and BoostAbuse, thanks for participating in this thread. It's nice to know the devs are listening to these forums and it's appreciated. Could you guys let us know if you can reproduce this problem on your end and, if so, let us know if it will be addressed? Thanks!

10 October 2013
I personally don't do much OSX development so I cannot confirm the bug, but BoostAbuse is a Mac fanboy so he could

Best thing to do is to file a bug report too though, because things get lost on these forums.

I think with the info and videos you have provided it should be enough for somebody to reproduce the issue at Autodesk.

10 October 2013
ya, I filed a bug for the slow viewport due to the UI problem a few days ago.

08 August 2014
Turning on Frame Rate in the HUD and orbiting the camera is not a good way to calculate the OpenGL performance, because it's not just doing OpenGL drawing in the viewport, it's also updating the Help Line with the current camera rotation.

Every refresh, the OpenGL viewport is being drawn then then the camera tool forces a redraw of the "help line" to show the current rotation of the camera. This context switching is causing a delay every frame, and the frame rate goes down. This isn't happening during playback.

The problem is not visible on Windows because of an implementation difference where the status bar is updated less often. The implementation on the mac needed to be different because otherwise the display of progress on the Help Line of long operations like loading scenes using a lot of references wasn't working.

08 August 2014
is that something that could be addressed on the Qt end so you can go back to using the less aggressive polling used by Windows on the Mac?

reply share thread