Maya Windows vs Mac OSX

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 10 October 2013   #31
Compared the work of Open GL in Mari , on Mac and Windows , there is no difference in performance, I think there is no sense to hope that Autodesk Fixed a problem soon , it's not their style : D

Old 10 October 2013   #32
Originally Posted by cgbeige: the thing is that everything is moving to viewport 2 and that is much closer to Windows speed than viewport 1 is/was on OS X. It's a bit pointless to make requests to change viewport 1 now since it's going to be deprecated eventually.

Yes I would agree.

Also with the Linux opengl performance statement.

Old 10 October 2013   #33
ahaha, I tested the 2011, 2012, 2014 version , and glitches appear in a geometric progression , in 2011 no glitches with viewport while animation playing, in 2012 fps drops to half and animation played slowly, in 2014 appear those glitches that I wrote above,WHAT???)) AHAHAHAHA , with each new version auto desk degraded Maya I can not believe it, stop i can believe in it becouse its AUTO desk))) ahahah sory for my trolling but its funny

Old 10 October 2013   #34
Yep, I've found absolutely terrible tumble+playback performance in 2014. In 2013.5 its slower but bearable. Didn't go further back.

And importantly, this also happens in Viewport 2, so sorry kees, you can't just wave it away so easily.

Old 10 October 2013   #35
but that is not the main problem. FPS drops when I open say Graph Editor, so i cant use MAC OS :( for animation

Old 10 October 2013   #36
ya, I agree that this problem seems to after version 2011 with viewport 1. That version is very snappy but 2014 extension can feel heavy. BUT viewport 2 is the opposite:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7990437/2014ext_viewport2.mov

That's on my 2011 MacBook Pro so it should be much better with a Mac Pro with newer GPU. So I would recommend using viewport 2 but if the interface or Graph Editor is less responsive, file a bug report.

and for the record, mari is slower in OS X on my laptop. Not sure about desktops but this GPU isn't very good for mari either way. Linux destroys Windows Mari though on my gaming machine/

Last edited by cgbeige : 10 October 2013 at 04:37 PM.

Old 10 October 2013   #37
Originally Posted by mattwood: And importantly, this also happens in Viewport 2, so sorry kees, you can't just wave it away so easily.

It is not about "waving it away", it is about properly identifying where the problem is.

If you file a bug report with your computer specs (hardware, drivers, os) and with the information that you are not seeing the same problem on older versions of Maya, then we have something to go with.

And I appreciate you tested it on the same machine in an older version of Maya.
I know that is a big annoying to do, but it already goes a long way to eliminate some things from the list.

Old 10 October 2013   #38
Originally Posted by Eugenicsbmx: ahaha, I tested the 2011, 2012, 2014 version , and glitches appear in a geometric progression

Can you please file a bug on this?
We obviously do not want this to happen.

Old 10 October 2013   #39
did this drop in performance happen when Maya became a Cocoa/64-bit app?

Old 10 October 2013   #40
It happened with Maya 2012. Maya 2011 didn't have this problem. The issue goes away if you eliminate all the toolbars and only work in full screen mode (the frame rate issue, not the orbiting issue, that's always there no matter what). In fact, as you steadily add the docked panels back, you can see the frame rate take a small hit with each one you add. The help bar seems to be the worst performance culprit. That and the graph editor. This issue is present in both viewport 1 and 2.

Old 10 October 2013   #41
oh, damn you're right. Look at this viewport speed increase in 2014 as soon as I hide the UI:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7990437/MAYA_slowdown.mov

I'm posting link to .mov instead of Vimeo because Vimeo caps videos at 30FPS. Sorry if it's barely perceptible there but it definitely is snappier and has a faster FPS with the GUI hidden.

and fahr - you're right, it happens in viewport 2 as well. So I guess we have a bug on our hands. I'll file one now.

Old 10 October 2013   #42
ok - after bringing this up with a friend, he said "ya, it's the Help Line I hide it all the time." He's right. Just hide the Help line and the FPS speed is bumped up.

Old 10 October 2013   #43
Hiding the help line goes a long way, but it still doesn't get you 100% like hiding the whole UI does. And if you open the graph editor, which you NEED to do, then performance comes crashing back down. But yeah, who would've thought that help line would be such a performance hog?

Old 10 October 2013   #44
Originally Posted by fahr: Hiding the help line goes a long way, but it still doesn't get you 100% like hiding the whole UI does. And if you open the graph editor, which you NEED to do, then performance comes crashing back down. But yeah, who would've thought that help line would be such a performance hog?

OMG... Being a maya user starts to feel like a Jenga player.

Old 10 October 2013   #45
How for this 4 years from 2011 to 2014 version Autodesk not yet fixed this bug with interface? .no one noticed this bug?

reply share thread