Maya Windows vs Mac OSX

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

10 October 2013
ok - I loaded up Maya 2011 in the Mavericks GM today and noticed that it's actually noticeably more fluid than the 2014 Extension with the same scene. It feels less choppy, even with simple scenes in viewport 1 and 2. It's not easy to distinguish but it's definitely getting a better framerate in 2011 and it feels more responsive. not sure if it's better on Nvidia hardware or not. I'm on 2011 MBP with Radeon 6770M

see the difference here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7990437/2011.mov
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7990437/2014ext.mov

Last edited by cgbeige : 10 October 2013 at 05:46 PM.

10 October 2013
You navigate while animation played?

10 October 2013
Why are you navigating while playing the animation? Just curious. Not saying it shouldn't be possible or done, just wondering why you're doing it.

10 October 2013
to know whether this bug was fixed with the new OpenGl 4.1 in Maverick. If this glitch is gone for sure, the others maby too

10 October 2013
Software doesn't magically use OpenGL 4 when a driver is updated to include support for it. Nothing changes in Maya in Mavericks vs Mountain Lion - I'm running it now and have been for a while. Most people misunderstand how OpenGL works in OS X there is actually two tiers that are used: the older legacy one that is limited to OpenGL 2.1 and the newer "Forward Context" OpenGL that was implemented in Lion and OpenGL 3.2 on OS X. In order to use OpenGL 4.1 Mavericks, software developers have to specifically call this forward context GL and they can't do it at the same time as using legacy OpenGL calls in OS X that's why Mari had to get its code updated to remove legacy GL functions to work on OS X's forward context OpenGL 4. SideFX said they will have to do the same to get GL 3 and up features working on OS X that are already supported on Windows and Linux versions of Houdini. OpenGL 4 isn't used by Maya on Windows or Linux yet anyway and the reason you see less lag on Windows when tumbling is not related to GL 4. It's just a different behaviour.

But Apple/Nvidia/AMD still fix bugs in the legacy GL implementation but I don't know if this is a big enough issue to call it a bug. No one else here seems to tumble much while animating

10 October 2013
I come back to the Windows and all my problems are over , it is good that I have not bought new Mac Pro , would spend a lot of money and worked with glitches

10 October 2013
well, like I said, that's not really a glitch. Anyway, you can now tumble while animating, so you're fine. you'll be rendering slower in Windows, though:

http://polygonspixelsandpaint.tumbl...post/3353016788

If you want the best combination of render speed and fast OpenGL, Linux is the best option. Linux OpenGL is faster than Windows and OS X and it doesn't suffer from the slow mental ray that affects Maya for Windows.

Last edited by cgbeige : 10 October 2013 at 02:59 PM.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by cgbeige: If you want the best combination of render speed and fast OpenGL, Linux is the best option. Linux OpenGL is faster than Windows and OS X and it doesn't suffer from the slow mental ray that affects Maya for Windows.

Why are you suggesting that mental ray is part of some best combination?

10 October 2013
does not matter I use Arnold )

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by fleabay: Why are you suggesting that mental ray is part of some best combination?

haha. ya, well I use V-Ray and you don't have to get me started on mr hate. Anyway, he uses Arnold, which hopefully uses the Intel C++ compiler and not MSVC

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by cgbeige: But Apple/Nvidia/AMD still fix bugs in the legacy GL implementation but I don't know if this is a big enough issue to call it a bug. No one else here seems to tumble much while animating

Actually I've hit this issue too. It seems to be related to moving to Maya 2014 but also coincides with a temporary video card switch so I haven't spoken up.

Since somebody asked, I frequently tumble around as an animation is playing. I'm surprised anybody questions it. Usually I do it during dynamics R&D or rigging where I need to really see what's happening.

Edit: just checked on a new iMac with 680MX and it's even worse. The viewport stutters and chokes and sometimes freezes if you try to navigate during playback.

Last edited by mattwood : 10 October 2013 at 04:28 PM.

10 October 2013
file a bug with Autodesk and if it's a problem with OS X, it will reach Apple via them.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servle...112&id=12331406

10 October 2013
You wrong understend me, probably i would not pay any attention to bug with glitches in viewport when played animation. but lower fps in new maya with qt then in old 2010, its main problem if i can comfortable animate in 2010 in MAC i cant say this about 2014 , fps halfed .

10 October 2013
I hope auto desk can confirm this on their side (and then fix it) because it's a very real performance problem for osx users.

10 October 2013
the thing is that everything is moving to viewport 2 and that is much closer to Windows speed than viewport 1 is/was on OS X. It's a bit pointless to make requests to change viewport 1 now since it's going to be deprecated eventually.

reply share thread