Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #16
InfernalDarkness
Madness. Madness, I say!

portfolio
Sho Pi
CG arch/viz
Seattle, USA

So far, the fixes appear to be switch to Vray or rever to a prior version of MR. At this stage, I'm finally and honestly leaning towards the first fix. I have been humbled after all these years.

Hell, I'll probably end up with a Mac this year too, the way things are going. Kill me.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Old 10-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #17
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
Opinions are mine. You can't have them.
San_Francisrococo, USA

haha. anyway, you won't regret the V-Ray decision. Support is fantastic and frequently my issues are fixed inside of a week or two and posted in the nightly builds.

I'll be writing a full review of the next Mac Pro for Ars Technica if you're serious about the Mac thing.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #18
ian27
Wannabe 3d Graphic Artist
portfolio
Ian Moran
ESL Teacher
Perth, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness
So far, the fixes appear to be switch to Vray or rever to a prior version of MR. At this stage, I'm finally and honestly leaning towards the first fix. I have been humbled after all these years.

Hell, I'll probably end up with a Mac this year too, the way things are going. Kill me.

Haha! Yes Sho Pi...Get saving up for that Mac!

Old 12-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #19
coccosoids
Expert

portfolio
R L
Romania

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness

WHAAAAAAAAT?!!??!

Sorry - I just had to get that out!

Old 12-19-2013, 04:20 AM   #20
thehive
Expert
portfolio
Eric Robert
animator/ illustrator
work/\holic Studios.com
Orlando, United States

was hard core MR PC once i got my mac pro back in 2008 never looked back an then switched to Vray again never looked back. would apple release this new pro already dam! been ichin for 24 cores for a while

Old 12-19-2013, 05:26 AM   #21
ian27
Wannabe 3d Graphic Artist
portfolio
Ian Moran
ESL Teacher
Perth, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehive
was hard core MR PC once i got my mac pro back in 2008 never looked back an then switched to Vray again never looked back. would apple release this new pro already dam! been ichin for 24 cores for a while

I'm with you on this one, buddy!

Old 12-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #22
thehive
Expert
portfolio
Eric Robert
animator/ illustrator
work/\holic Studios.com
Orlando, United States

Tell me about Ian, jus saw the new pro prices umm DAAAM! my config was like 9k lol

Old 12-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #23
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
San_Francisrococo, USA

ya, they aren't cheap but if you were to try and configure a similar workstation from Dell, HP or BOXX, you'd be paying a lot more. my friend's $20.000 Dell with dual 8-core CPUs would be outperformed by two 12-core Mac Pros at $6500 apiece. But workstations are never about cost effectiveness – they simply cram as much power into a single machine as is needed to work on demanding stuff. I'm getting two 6GB FirePro D700 GPUs (basically two W9000) and a workstation with an 8-core E5 v2 Xeon, 1GB/s PCI SSD and Thunderbolt 2 for less than you could buy two of those GPUs at retail:

http://www.amazon.com/AMD-FirePro-R...s=firepro+w9000

Old 12-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #24
thehive
Expert
portfolio
Eric Robert
animator/ illustrator
work/\holic Studios.com
Orlando, United States

yea i may have to bring it down to the 8 core an get the 4tb raid 1tb just not enough space
heh well see if i can push it to the 12core but doubt it.

20k on a comp makes no sense at all no offence, i don't see the point when this junk is worth nothing in no time before i buy from dell or hp id rather build my own for less. on thing is cant seem to find a case that looks like an alien is going to hatch out of it.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:26 AM   #25
lucericr
PRO

portfolio
Luc-Eric
Maya UI Team
Montreal, Canada

People should not compare directly the web site workstation prices of HP and Apple, because no business is paying those HP prices. HP and Dell work with a model where you negotiate a quote with their small and medium business sales guys. If you're just buying a workstation from the web site without negotiating, you're getting screwed. (this applies to workstations, not consumer PCs, which are low-margin) Also.. there are no video options for the new Mac Pros. Or many internal drives options, afaik.

Last edited by lucericr : 12-22-2013 at 01:53 AM.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:23 AM   #26
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
San_Francisrococo, USA

video options? The Mac Pro ships with a 1GB/s PCI express SSD that you can't even build into a Dell T5600, last I checked.

The $22,500 quote my friend got from Dell was his business quote. I have reviewed Dell and HP workstations in the past, so I know their pricing. It's never as good as Apple's, but they do offer on-site warranties, where Apple doesn't. Still, the Dell units are terribly constructed and the HP Z820 that I reviewed was really noisy. Otherwise, the HP was a good machine. See my review here:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012...s-muscle-ahead/

Last edited by cgbeige : 12-22-2013 at 02:29 AM.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:52 AM   #27
DutchDimension
Think different

portfolio
Dutch Dimension
DMP/Environment Artist
MPC
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbeige
ya, they aren't cheap but if you were to try and configure a similar workstation from Dell, HP or BOXX, you'd be paying a lot more. my friend's $20.000 Dell with dual 8-core CPUs would be outperformed by two 12-core Mac Pros at $6500 apiece. But workstations are never about cost effectiveness – they simply cram as much power into a single machine as is needed to work on demanding stuff. I'm getting two 6GB FirePro D700 GPUs (basically two W9000) and a workstation with an 8-core E5 v2 Xeon, 1GB/s PCI SSD and Thunderbolt 2 for less than you could buy two of those GPUs at retail:

http://www.amazon.com/AMD-FirePro-R...s=firepro+w9000

I hope you'll be doing an ArsTechnica Review of the new Mac Pro, Dave and will compare it to those Dells and HP's as well as the 2010 Mac Pro.
And as this is a Mental Ray thread, don't forget to benchmark that too (instead of Vray only)

Old 12-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #28
lucericr
PRO

portfolio
Luc-Eric
Maya UI Team
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbeige
video options? The Mac Pro ships with a 1GB/s PCI express SSD that you can't even build into a Dell T5600, last I checked.

sorry I meant video card options. If you're getting a multi-thousand HP machines, chances are you are spending a lot on the Quadro, which are high margin items, and not an option at all with the new mac pros.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #29
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
San_Francisrococo, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucericr
sorry I meant video card options. If you're getting a multi-thousand HP machines, chances are you are spending a lot on the Quadro, which are high margin items, and not an option at all with the new mac pros.

You obviously haven't even looked at the specs of the new Mac Pro. It ships with dual FirePro GPUs, with the top option (the one I bought) shipping with dual FirePro W9000 GPUs rebranded as D700 because it has a ~50MHz clock speed drop. These currently outperform the Quadros for Maya:

http://www.cgchannel.com/2013/11/gr...onal-gpus-2013/

The W9000 is so powerful and expensive for Windows and Linux, it's not even listed in that review.

You may not like that the GPU is not replaceable – I don't – but it's the most workstation class GPU that Apple's ever shipped as standard. And it's doing it for a hell of a lot less than HP or Dell sell their Quadros for.

Last edited by cgbeige : 12-22-2013 at 03:54 PM.

Old 12-25-2013, 07:37 AM   #30
fahr
Expert

Chad Gleason
Creative Director
Outpost 12 Studios
Lincoln, USA

Cgbeige, that CGchannel link is coming up as bad for me. Can you re-check the link?

I REALLY hope autodesk fixes the UI sluggishness for maya on the mac. As it stands now, even a top of the line Mac Pro will still perform like a dog in maya, which absolutely sucks!

And, back to the subject of MR, has there been any word as to whether or not autodesk will ever fix that instancing bug? And, if so, is a new service pack imminent?

Merry Christmas!!

Thread Closed share thread