Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 09-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
nelson-press
PRO
portfolio
nelson press
toronto, USA

blend shape is popping

im trying to do some blendshapes in maya, but its acting kinda wierd and i cant seem to figure out why its doing this
it's like ill create a blend shape

then when i go to the blendshape thingy in the target object in the channel box and set that thing to 1, the target object kinda pops and i dont want it to pop cause it throws everything out of alignment

im not certain why it's popping or how to fix it

does it have something to do with the deformation order when your applying the blend shapes??

Last edited by nelson-press : 09-08-2013 at 03:47 PM.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
egglybagelface
Maya Sloth
portfolio
eggly bagelface
Sydney, AU

It's hard to tell where the popping is as your recording has a very low frame rate, which inherently makes everything on the screen poppy.

If I'm looking at your recording right, my first guess is the popping at 0:29/0:30. Looks like that you grabbed every vertex on the blendshape mesh and translated it backwards a little prior to adding clusters. If you need to move a blendshape mesh's position you must exit component mode and just move it like any other object. Your solution is to duplicate the original mesh again and start over.... it looks simple enough to remake it....

My advice is to check every step you make. ie. Create a cluster, check/scrub the blendshape 0-1 values. Add another cluster, check/scrub again.....

P.S. Your deformation order is correct.

Last edited by egglybagelface : 09-08-2013 at 08:11 PM.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:37 AM   #3
nelson-press
PRO
portfolio
nelson press
toronto, USA

hmmm ... i dunno ...

when i changed the deformation order it stopped popping and the blendshapes thing worked seemlessly

however now it seems like the blend shapes over riding the rest of the head rig thing

like the jaw is skinned and what not, and it was moving fine and working fine before i applied the blendshape

but after applying the blendshape, blendshape works fine but now the jaw won't work even though its skinned to a joint and the joint moves properly

Old 09-09-2013, 01:09 AM   #4
egglybagelface
Maya Sloth
portfolio
eggly bagelface
Sydney, AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson-press
over riding

exactly. The deformation order you had is correct. 10,000 riggers will tell you the same thing. Sorry but the problem began somewhere between duplicating the main head mesh and moving it to the side & selecting your vertices and going Create Deformer > Cluster. (I'm presuming you added the clusters to the blendshape mesh first before the Create Deformer>BShape.... if it was the other way around, it doesn't matter.)

I could be wrong, no question, who knows what you did. Dropbox your face rig to my message box thingo and I'll check it out. I'm bored at the moment and killing time for the next few days.

Last edited by egglybagelface : 09-09-2013 at 01:29 AM.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
nelson-press
PRO
portfolio
nelson press
toronto, USA

Old 09-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #6
JoseCuenca

portfolio
Jose Cuenca
LEAD RIGGER
Axis Animation
United Kingdom

Hi,

I think at some moment you moved the center of one of your faces and the centers don't match. Itīs a common mistake. I think the best solution is: remove the history of both faces, unparent them from their groups, set the translation to 0 of both faces, match the geometry of both faces, center the pivots of both faces in the same place (for example in 0 0 0 grid). Then freeze transforms (just in case).

Then, get sure that when your geometry is 0 0 0 translate is centred. Half face in the -x axis, and the other half in +x axis. Itīs always better. And then apply again the clusters and your stuff.

Maybe the process wasnt really clean, and you were modifying a lot of stuff.... And another thing, remember always to create the skin cluster in the rest position, and if you add a joint as an influence, in the rest position as well.

Let us know if it worked!

Cheers!

Old 09-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #7
nelson-press
PRO
portfolio
nelson press
toronto, USA

... i have no idea what you just said T_T

if i remove the history, wont i lose all my skinning information and stuff?
how do i do that without losing all of my skinning information and stuff and having to reskin everything and do everything up again?

i got another problem
its wierd
when i select all the verticies and move them the model turns inside out
the back part of the model moves forwards and forward part of model moves back
its as if some of the polygons or vertices were turned inside out or something

not certain how to fix this

Last edited by nelson-press : 09-21-2013 at 07:55 PM.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:09 PM   #8
gmask
Obfuscator

gmask
Power Sitting
Topanga, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson-press
how do i do that without losing all of my skinning information and stuff

You can export you skin weights from the Animation>Edit Deformers>Export Deformers weight menu

As for stuff.. you'll have to be more specific

This is pretty much why it's import to understand how to do scripted builds of rigs so that it is easier to redo work when something goes wrong

Old 09-22-2013, 01:36 AM   #9
JoseCuenca

portfolio
Jose Cuenca
LEAD RIGGER
Axis Animation
United Kingdom

Hi there,

Sorry, my previous email is a bit confusing. Now I'm not in my computer. But the point is: you made some mistake in the process, related with the position of the objects and the pivots when you were applying the deformers and skinning. What I suggested before is start again the process, keep the same pivot in both objects, an apply the skinning in the right position.

If you have a look to your scene, set the blendshape to zero, and then if you change the value of the envelope of the skinning of the main head (not the blend), again the head is like popping, and it's not the blendshape. That means the joint was moved after the skinning. Ah, and important. In your scene, the order of the deformers are wrong (in the video is ok). First you have to create the blendshape and then the skincluster. The blendshape is removing the effect of the skinning, because is applied after the skinning.

Look, you can export the maps of the skincluster and the clusters. And you can start again the face. I agree with egglybagelface, the best way is to start again and to check every step you do.

Old 09-22-2013, 01:36 AM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread