KAMAKAZZI
Messiah Brigade

portfolio
3 Dementia
Animator/Modeler/Concept Artist
Austin, USA

Maya keeps hidden, undeletable data

Hi all,

There seems to be a problem with Maya on storing data in an uncontrollable, undeletable manner.

We understand how to delete history and all that jazz.

Our problem:

Maya has a scene where if we delete all objects and delete history, the maya file is still over 50 mb!

We have strived to OPTIMIZE SCENE under FILE>Optimize scene, nothing happens.

When we open the ascii file in a notepad editor, we see 20k instances of OLD named files in the code. There are 1.7 million lines of code on a cleaned out pre-existing scene!

What is the deal? Anyone had this problem? Yes, we can import the .ma in a new fresh launch but that would be a lot of work to do again. Anyway to delete excess data in Maya other than optimizing scene and deleting history?

Any ideas would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 09-07-2013, 12:41 AM   #2
KAMAKAZZI
Messiah Brigade

portfolio
3 Dementia
Animator/Modeler/Concept Artist
Austin, USA

work around

Well, we found lots of stuff wrong with these scenes...the biggest consuming file are hyperview nodes which in one scene, live 21,438, which was 99 percent of the memory. This failed our attempt to put in engines to our specs.

Workaround:

Select mesh, export selected as FBX, rename it and close scene. Open new scene, the fbx and all that data would be gone.

We had animations and we tried to use ATOM which was shit of course. It skewed mesh 70 percent and was randUMB.

We mostly tied all our animations to a null and parent them. Luckily the animations were not so extravagant so that helped.

Maya is such a stupid program, I am sorry but I cant believe how much shit you have to push through to get this app to work like how it should.

I am so glad not all programs are like autodesk maya...this has been a grueling experience working with Maya...no wonder film and games take 5 to 10 years to make...they have Maya in the pipeline.

Another workaround was this command line our TD wrote:

maya.cmds.delete(maya.cmds.ls(type="hyperView"))

THNX PAUL!

So yes, that command line is what we call the UNFUCK script(named by author).

Toodles,

H18

Old 09-07-2013, 01:21 AM   #3
Panupat
Expert

portfolio
Panupat Chong
Thailand

What does those old name files look like? Can you paste maybe a line or 2 for me to see, please? Have you figured out what caused them?

Old 09-07-2013, 05:57 AM   #4
refract
Lord of the posts

portfolio
John John
Character modeling, Lighting, Compositing
Work
Los Angeles, United States

Send a message via ICQ to refract Send a message via AIM to refract Send a message via MSN to refract Send a message via Yahoo to refract
Yeah, we just found at work in Maya 2014 that it stores a lot of extra namespace garbage that couldn't be removed from Optimize Scene Size.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
ristopuukko
Earthling

portfolio
Risto Puukko
Senior fx td
FrameStore
London, United%2BKingdom

My suggestion:

Outliner -> Display -> Show DAG object Only -> OFF
Outliner -> Show -> Show Auxiliary Nodes -> ON
Outliner -> Show -> Auxiliary Nodes... -> remove all auxiliary nodes from hidden list

Study what you see in the Outliner.

The main problem with Optimize Scene Size is (well the problem with any man written software) that it _can_not_ read one's mind.

A lengthy example one:

Few years a go one of my modeler's managed to get his scene ( a very simple model with a few I-beams, no more than 250 poly's ) in to a state where it took over 900 mb's of disk space and about 5 minutes to load. When investigated it was found that there were over 80000 groupId - nodes which effectively made the whole scene crawl. Optimize Scene Size did not help because those nodes we're of course connected in order to get the initial Shading Group connections going on. So a bit of handiwork was required but all went fine.

After this no model was green-lighted before it was manually checked by tech person with enough knowledge about Maya's inner workings.

Example two:

I tend to use mental rays write - nodes to output various custom outputs from a scene in a way that the network which writes the output ( or Pass, as it's named in maya to mr) is _not_ connected to the geometry. In this case if I hit Optimize Scene Size, it founds a bunch of shading nodes which are not in a chain with any shadingGroup so it deletes them.

So to conclude my original suggestion: get to know your Maya and (if possible) design your own cleaning procedures/tools based on your site's / show's particular needs.

/risto

Old 09-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
Mark-J
Know-it-All

portfolio
Mark Jackson
CEO & Founder
Red9 Consultancy
United Kingdom

yeah we've had the same thing with the groupID nodes, those and image planes. Our main optimizer basically does an exportAll then fresh scene, restore the UI settings and re-import, you'd be amazed at what crap doing just that gets rid of.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
mustique
Expert
copywriter

Thumbs up

Very usefull & rare info on a widespread problem with maya these days.

The optimize tool should have an option that lets you "UNFUCK" things if you need to.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #8
ristopuukko
Earthling

portfolio
Risto Puukko
Senior fx td
FrameStore
London, United%2BKingdom

Quote:
The optimize tool should have an option that lets you "UN####" things if you need to.

As a somewhat veteran to the whole ***puter business, I'm so sceptical to any new knob or button a software vendor introduces that I try to understand what's underneath the "new" function before I can ( read: have guts) deploy it to wider use.

The sad side of this ( yellow-bellyness ) is that sometimes I feel I'm using Maya like
I did with version 4.5 :-)

/risto

Old 09-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #9
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread