ytsejam1976
Maya Light Finder

portfolio
Dario Ortisi
3D modeler and render
Dallara Engineering at Simulator
Italy

Thumbs down hidden paint effects limit. 2

I wanted to bring you aware of this, http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=879683 because the problem persists, but seems not to interest, as always. The paint effects are great but they have an underlying problem, you can not create like other applications such as large trees with foliage without loom into problems due to the limits of paint effects. Duncan said that perhaps he could improve because the limit set made ​​sense for older generations of PCs, but now it is not really necessary to a limit so radical. When I create the tree i'm using a variety of tricks to deceive the result, but I'd like to create trees that are much more realistic, I do not say as Exlevel GrowFX, but let's say I would approach. Thank you if you want to post your vote to "Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum"

Old 08-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
Duncan
Expert

Duncan Brinsmead
Principal Scientist
Autodesk
Canada

While you wait for that limit to be increased, it is worth noting that part of the problem in that scene file is the brush has a splitMaxDepth of 20... which is quite deep. However the the number of segments is too low to support even a branching limit of 10.( the max branching depth is affected by the segments value... not great but its the way the method works ) What happens in that if the segments is low then only the occasional branch gets a deep branching... so there might be one branch on that tree that is incredibly dense, using up the available segments per simulation step(the internal limit). If one uses a higher segments value and lowers the splitMaxDepth then one can get many more branches.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:00 AM   #3
ytsejam1976
Maya Light Finder

portfolio
Dario Ortisi
3D modeler and render
Dallara Engineering at Simulator
Italy

Duncan thanks and sorry for the delay in answering. This you say is obviously true, but in some cases, if you increase the segments, you get a geometry different from what you wanted to achieve and that I got with a low number of segments. Anyway, I thought that the limit affect much more the problem. However it would be nice to have a control over the direction of the branches up and down, in short, some specific control to get what you want, in the sense of trying to have a more personalized tree design that maintains the features that are found in nature, but of course you know that nature is stranger than man. There are in fact trees like this http://www.apicolturatieri.it/sito/...a%20robinia.jpg that are very difficult to recreate with paint effects because the branches have a horizontal direction, do not know how to say. And this kind of tree have a lot of branches something like Third branches. I do that with leaves textures that have the entire leafs and branches.
The number of segments increases the polygons in my scene, this will slow down. The strange thing is that sometimes I have some very beautiful trees with a low polygon count, which is why I would like the control of the segments did not affect so high final appearance
Thank you

Dario

Old 09-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
Duncan
Expert

Duncan Brinsmead
Principal Scientist
Autodesk
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytsejam1976
The number of segments increases the polygons in my scene, this will slow down.
Dario

Yes, but in order to branch one needs more segments. The segments are defined roughly as the number of segments from root to tip. If one only had one segment from root to tip there could be no branching at all. You can get the most efficient segment counts by carefully adjusting the length/width bias values instead of the the split bias. In this manner the segments can be longer for the base trunk then get shorter towards the tip where there is more splitting.

Keep in mind that a splitMaxDepth of 20 is still quite high. For a numBranches = 2 this means there will be 2^10 or 1,048,576 branch tips( not including things like twigs or leaves). This about 10 times the number of hairs on a typical head.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
gerrycg
Vone
Janosch
Student
Duesseldorf, Germany

i am also running into the same problem described in the old thread of surreal-reality all the time... my trees' maxSplitDepth is always between 4 and 8, and i am never able to raise the leaf-count high enough to achieve realistic results, without loosing half of my twigs automaticly by maya.
Trees just have a lot of twigs and a lot of leaves on it. and my machine's performance has room left for the tree i want.
will the maximum particle limit be raised soon? and if not, why?
thanks a lot!

Old 11-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
Duncan
Expert

Duncan Brinsmead
Principal Scientist
Autodesk
Canada

Gerry... note that there are two other limitations you may be hitting.
1. If you are converting pfx to poly then there is a max poly count on the stroke. You can set this zero for "no limit".

2. The interactive display of a pfx stroke has a limit to avoid making the draw slow( but the pfx stroke render does not have this limit). There is a hidden attribute on a stroke called maxDrawSegments. You can use setAttr to increase it, for example:

setAttr strokeShape1.maxDrawSegments 5000000
(the default is 1000000)

Note as well that failure to get more leaves and branches can also be caused by having the segments too low to achieve a branching level. (for example if the segments is just 1 then the max splitMaxDepth that will cause a split is 2... as a rule of thumb the segments should be at least as high as the splitMaxDepth)

That said we are looking into increasing the max particle limit.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread