Old 08-21-2013, 02:19 AM   #1
AbsorbentGhost
3ds max and maya
portfolio
Valentious Williams
Freelance airbrush artist
Saint Lucia

3DS Max Or Maya?

Hello guys ,ive reached a point in time where i must choose one of these two well recognized software packages Max or Maya .Ive use both and now there is only room for one .Being a generalist in a demanding field of study and it begs which is the Jack of the all trade between the two.The software i choose will need to perform a variety of functions.

Modeling
Rigging
rendering and lighting
compatible with other software's

I know Max is best at the list above after some time with it,but i know max lacks a proper simulation engine.And animation in max isn't a whole lot of fun.Modeling is very straight forward ,with a huge arsenal of tools ,and clean interface well layered out,there is not repetition of functions ,every thing dose something new.The modifier stacks set the None destructive modeling to a whole new level ,leaving me satisfied and stress free state of mind.Lighting has no limits in max ,you can set ure artistic hand free,being free to set mood and let imagination seeing a brighter new day and good render times.Rigging is subperb ,with max default tools rigging is a fun and easy process,clean structures ,very nice customizable buttons ,sliders ,pcikers etc ,making the rig standout and is loved by the animators.Unlike Maya rigging is a pain with all those scattered nodes to deal with.And if ure on a tight deadlines CAT is there to save the day,Rigs can be setup in minutes and is very efficient to come back and make changes.
i dread the times when using Maya Human Ik rig.

Maya benefits i love to work with

Fluid fx
Ncloth simulations
Animating and the graph editor

NOW to the Maya argument,When i worked with maya on a few projects i notice most users use maya for animation ,not so much the tools but just the fact it Graph editor is by far the best out there.Easy to use and edit function curves . .Which is some thing i looked for in max and could find .This list above is what i used most inside maya.Simulations makes my day,some thing max lacks.Maya offers every thing a special effects artist needs ,eg the simulated fluid effects,Ncloth Soft and rigid bodies etc are superb BUT maya modeling tools are ancient and a headache, can't use curves in maya as u can in 3DS Max,it's lack flexibility ,deformation of objects are even worse .Now don't get me started on the clutter of nodes ,no matter how well you setup a scene,Construction history makes it an ass kicking pandemic ,leaving you feeling like a used and abused little wimp .Color Correcting is also a pain as well followed by even longer render times.Animation wise like i said is a fun process ,but having to go to the channel box ,seeing all that clutter is disturbing.Maya is compatible with almost any other compositing software out there which is a huge benefit.

So base on what you guys have read and know which should i stay with being a generalist who wants to get the work done without the aid of a short Gun aimed and the monitor.

Thread Closed share thread