animation export/import issues??

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #1
Question animation export/import issues??

so we're getting inconsistent (and usually no results) when we try to export and import animations using character sets and/or quick sets. we've been using the atom plug-in and .anim plugs. Not sure what the problem is as I'm sure I've done this really easily in the past.
Generally I just get an empty file and an error that no keys were written out. Is there some flaws in the recent editions of Maya?
Is there a better way to export and import animation these days?
Maya 2013 sp2

Old 08 August 2013   #2
As far as I remember there are issues writing data out via atom on setups with characterSets. One thing we noticed was that NON keyed channels would not be exported. Been a while since I tested Atom mind you so this may have been fixed in the sp release

Old 08 August 2013   #3
Never tried Atom. But u can also export in a FBX format. It's very popular for exporting animation.

Old 08 August 2013   #4
We just used atom, as our primary method of animation transfer for animators and then to lighting. There are specifics to using it, but it does work great.
!we were not using dreaded character sets!

Old 08 August 2013   #5
Hey rasamaya, what are the quirks of using atom? I've been trying to get it to work and mostly get nothing. I've been using character sets, or selecting all ctrls, or selecting all keyframes, or all the above but I'm not getting much success.

And if anyone has some tips of using the FBX or anything else to transfer animation from scene to scene I'm all ears.

Old 08 August 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread