Opening Maya 2013 files with 2012

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2013
Opening Maya 2013 files with 2012

I just downgraded my copy of Maya 2013 back to 2012 for a few reasons. I know there are issues opening Maya 2013 files in Maya 2012, but there are fixes that can be done to the ACSII .ma files to make them open fine. My only issue is I never saved my old scene files as ASCII files.

Is there anything else I can do other than reinstall 2013, save out the old scene files as ASCII, reinstall 2012 again and then edit the .ma files with a text editor?

To be clear, here's what I'm referring to:

http://polygonspixelsandpaint.tumbl...ost/28629598569

Is there a way to get my 2013 files to be text editable?

UPDATE:

Seems by checking "Ignore Version" I'm able to open my 2013 scenes in 2012. Is this ok? I got a crash on one render, but a few other scenes I checked seemed ok. Whats the disadvantage of this?

Last edited by mobkon : 07 July 2013 at 01:18 AM.

07 July 2013
If a file includes future version features/atoms (IE: nodes or commands present in 2013 but not in 2012) you can get crashes, orphaned nodes, or other similar issues.
There is no way around that for obvious reasons.

If something loads fine make sure there's no corrupted data (you can always export and import to interim formats to "cure" the geo after you freeze it), and chase orphaned nodes (any unconnected node, some of them might require you fetch them via script as not all will appear in HG/HS) to make double sure you don't have junk.

The risk involved largely depends on the scene and the features you used, it can be absolutely 0 or it can be a bit dodgy. More times than not unless you have rather heavy bits in there, or cutting edge features (IE: sim environments or very complex networks) you're likely to come out of it on top.

07 July 2013
I wrote that blog post. The reason you have to edit the file is because of the new -ch entry for meshes in Maya 2013. Without editing that out, you will probably have issues opening 2013 files in 2012. The rendering crashes might be something else though.

07 July 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread