Alembic hair workflow?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2013
Alembic hair workflow?

What is the process for exporting hair to an Alembic cache?

I am able to export the follicle curves, and could theoretically re-attach the hair system to this after import. Would this be the best workflow, or is there a better way that would retain all of the hair information since the approach described here is really exporting curves rather than hair?

07 July 2013
Also it seems that Alembic is inaccurately exporting the curves. That is, they are shorter than the original curves which means that the hair is shorter too. Not good. Is there a way to fix this?

07 July 2013
Alembic is mostly mesh based?.. or no.? I wouldn't expect it to support hair at all,. or ever.

07 July 2013
No, Alembic can be used for a lot more than that...

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by sharktacos: Also it seems that Alembic is inaccurately exporting the curves. That is, they are shorter than the original curves which means that the hair is shorter too. Not good. Is there a way to fix this?

The curves that Alembic supports are Render man curves. They are not NURBS curves at all cause these curves don't have knots..
You can rebuild them before exporting... This is not a bug just not well-documented.

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by venuscryst: The curves that Alembic supports are Render man curves. They are not NURBS curves at all cause these curves don't have knots..
You can rebuild them before exporting... This is not a bug just not well-documented.

Thanks. Can you be more specific about how to properly rebuild the curves before export? Do you mean maya>curve>rebuild? Any particular options? I would think that after a rebuild they would still be nurbs in Maya and only become rman curved on the Akembic export, no?

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by sharktacos: Thanks. Can you be more specific about how to properly rebuild the curves before export? Do you mean maya>curve>rebuild? Any particular options? I would think that after a rebuild they would still be nurbs in Maya and only become rman curved on the Akembic export, no?

This is my settings.
Edit Curves -> Rebuild Curve
Rebuild type: Uniform
Parameter range: Keep
Keep: NumSpan
Degree: 3 Cubic
NURBS is "non-uniform" rational B-spline. A uniform rebuild would cause the knots to be distributed uniformly. This would match rman curve schema better.

07 July 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread