How to mix 2 textures with a mask?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2013   #1
How to mix 2 textures with a mask?

Here is what I want to do:

I have 3 textures. 2 colour maps and one black and white map that will act as a mask. I want to use MIA_Material_X

How can I mix these 3 textures and put that into the diffuse channel of material_x (this is how softimage is) or it will be a completely different process. I tried to use layerd textures but it doesn't seem taking my black and white map as the mask when I put that into alpha.

Ahh.. This is driving me crazy.

Old 07 July 2013   #2
For layered textures , it's all about layers' order and its' composition mode.

Mask : this one should be on top of everything and since it's pure black and white - be in Multiply mode

Textures : depending on what you're trying to achieve its' order and comp. modes might be different ,
just for instance , i've placed one with alpha over another one.

Another approach could to blend your textures in layered texture node , connect it's output to...let's say clear ramp and use plug your mask in it's Color Gain channel...

Here is screenshot of nodes' network and just in case .ma scene.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56547490/cg1.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...ered_texture.ma

Old 07 July 2013   #3
I got it to work by following your demo scene. The checker board outalpha goes to one of the channels' alpha. But when I use the psd file out alpha (the psd file does have an alpha) into layer alpha it won't work. However if I extract one of the RGB channel, then it will work but its inverted, black is showing, white is transparent. What did I do wrong?

Old 07 July 2013   #4
Just don't use psds' for it^^ , you can use tga.

Connect your texture node to the mib_color_alpha input ( so that MR could extract alpha channel from your texture ) , then if you want to plug it to the layered texture alpha , ( which is scalar ) plug mib_color_alpha output to the luminance node.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56547490/cg2.jpg

There you'll have it...

Old 07 July 2013   #5
Thank you so much

Old 07 July 2013   #6
use a blend node with the two color maps and the mask to control the blend attribute

Old 07 July 2013   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread