Bifröst

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by TheRazorsEdge: What the heck? Not that I'm complaining at the prospect of getting Naiad with Maya, but are they running out of more mundane, functional and hence easily interpretable names to call things in Maya?

I kind of like the name, not "lahme" at all.

*ba-dum-tshh*

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by kees: I kind of like the name, not "lahme" at all.

*ba-dum-tshh*

Are you trying to insult someone? If so, that 's a pretty darn uneducated and pitiful attempt. lol

If you're so attached to that name, I'm sure you'll have no trouble explaining its relevance to cg fluids to me.

Cheers!

Last edited by TheRazorsEdge : 07 July 2013 at 01:14 PM.

07 July 2013
who says bifrost is for fluids..?

07 July 2013
the only question in this moment is WHEN?

if AD is planing to rls this ver of maya next year, thats a long period for everyone to wait for,

studios will have find alternative, Rf, Flux, Houdini, etc (if there are any others )

cheers

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by TheRazorsEdge: I'm sure you'll have no trouble explaining its relevance to cg fluids to me.

It is a name. Get over it. (And yes, I like the name)

Just like Maya has nothing to do with VFX/Games.
Just like Blizzard has nothing to do with being a games company.
etc etc etc etc

You are just complaining for the sake of complaining.

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by bazuka: the only question in this moment is WHEN?

Hey, Baz. Traditionally, these additions show up in the SAP (Subscription Advantage Pack) which in turn comes out roughly 6 months after a full point release. Maya 2014 came out in April so this October/November is when the next SAP should be available.

Then again, Bifröst might not come out until Maya 2015. I remember Duncan demoing some nDynamic features a long time ago that didn't make it into Maya for close to 2 years.

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by kees: It is a name. Get over it. (And yes, I like the name)

etc etc etc etc

Yes, name is just name, they can use a China symbols, why not.
Is "ö" is a English letter?

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by J-Bond: Yes, name is just name, they can use a China symbols, why not.
Is "ö" is a English letter?

No, it's a Scandinavian letter. Marcus Nordenstam (one of the Naiad developers) is Swedish, I believe.

Anyway, I think it's a cool name for a cool piece of tech with lots of potential!

07 July 2013
question is , is it only a naiad port or do they go the royal way with , ICE finally translated into maya => in a low level nodal operators way . And this is what you use to control the FLIP solver and other dyn solvers ...

well anyway this is good news ... for maya users. They've nearly put S|3D in the grave , max is only getting bigger and bigger with new pluggins ...

it looks that AD has chosen Maya for his big R&D efforts ... cool

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by mental: Hey, Baz. Traditionally, these additions show up in the SAP (Subscription Advantage Pack) which in turn comes out roughly 6 months after a full point release. Maya 2014 came out in April so this October/November is when the next SAP should be available.

Then again, Bifröst might not come out until Maya 2015. I remember Duncan demoing some nDynamic features a long time ago that didn't make it into Maya for close to 2 years.

if that happen then they will lose the market...

07 July 2013
i like the name bi-frost its like saying 2.0-ice

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by bazuka: if that happen then they will lose the market...

Not sure that they want to compete with someone.
In my vision they want to force studios to update old Maya licenses , that's all.
If they wan't to compete with someone then they just release it like standalone with old GUI before Realflow 2013.

After that 3ds max can got it(3-5 years later) with the same reasons and this max version have only little general feature update(so they save a lot of time for main development team and their work can go to another version). And Xsi going the same way in couple years after max.
Like a ViewCube story.

It's IMO for sure, but look's like more business solution (we just talking about business when come to AD, not user interest's, right?)

@DutchDimension
Great he not from China

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by SebKaine: question is , is it only a naiad port or do they go the royal way with , ICE finally translated into maya => in a low level nodal operators way . And this is what you use to control the FLIP solver and other dyn solvers ...

well anyway this is good news ... for maya users. They've nearly put S|3D in the grave , max is only getting bigger and bigger with new pluggins ...

it looks that AD has chosen Maya for his big R&D efforts ... cool

It's been said elsewhere already, Bifrost is not just a fluid sim (nor was Naiad intended to remain one), it is supposed to be a procedural platform. It's also not part of Maya, it's its own platform, just it was shown hooked into Maya as that's the first and most natural option for them.

As for the whole name debacle, it's the Norse equivalent of the bridge between earth and heavens, or human and gods realm really. I doubt it was chosen just for its sound
And it's Norse/Swede because so is the Naiad team lead.

07 July 2013
Thx for precision Raffaele !

Now we need a screenshot . It's pretty embarrassing but ... i'm impatient to discover a new AD features ... it hasn't happen since Maya 2009 and nParticles !

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by kees: It is a name. Get over it. (And yes, I like the name)

etc etc etc etc

I have a different opinion than you have. Get over it, and please spare us all the pathetic polemics. lol

"Maya" has nothing do with VFX/Games and "Blizzard" nothing with a games company? Just how uneducated and dense are you exactly? Both names actually do have lots to do with the respective uses/ventures both in terms of meaning and spirit. Actually, I'm having difficulty not being able to solidly connect any name of any piece of software etc to it's purpose just by interpreting the naming. That's what is called "good marketing"!

Beef-rösti (aka swiss hash-browns with beef) ... sorry.... Bifrösti kind of eludes me in terms of its associative meaning and marketing potential, so I asked for a conclusive explanation. Anyways, since you're obviously unable to deliver and Raffaele was the one to actually provide some more insight in a civil manner instead, I suggest you go fix some bugs instead of trolling around, pissing at people just because the don't share your likes/dislikes. And, gee, get some manners and education while you're at it, buddy!

Cheers!

Last edited by TheRazorsEdge : 07 July 2013 at 09:22 AM.

Thread Closed share thread