Bifröst

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2013
Bifröst

Quote: In Norse mythology, Bifröst or sometimes Bilröst, is a burning rainbow bridge that reaches between Midgard (the world) and Asgard, the realm of the gods.

Bifröst is coming.

07 July 2013
Have you been at the User Group? Still no images from the presentation...

07 July 2013
No, silly. Winter is coming.

Bifrost is already here, or was already here. Hopefully you're all immunized or using some method of protection. It ain't the 80s anymore, you know.

Quote: Bifrost is a backdoor trojan horse family of more than 10 variants which can infect Windows 95 through Windows 7. Bifrost uses the typical server, server builder, and client backdoor program configuration to allow a remote attacker, who uses the client, to execute arbitrary code on the compromised machine (which runs the server whose behavior can be controlled by the server editor).

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

07 July 2013
Silly Max users freaking out that the VFX tool got implemented in the more widely used VFX program, Autodesk are crazy!

07 July 2013
ya, they don't quite understand that Max is not used for film and Autodesk is already fighting hard to keep Houdini from eating more attention from Maya. It would suck if I was a Max user but I don't complain about the lack of UDK or Cryengine for OS X because game development has always been dominated by Windows. Similarly, Linux users don't complain about Indesign not coming out for Ubuntu.

I'm just glad that I hate Max and always have so I didn't invest any time in learning it. I only use it to spit out model conversions for Maya or Turbosquid.

Last edited by cgbeige : 07 July 2013 at 09:16 PM.

07 July 2013
There are ArchVis users on the VRay forums doing the same thing. I guess nowadays theres lots of massive flood simulations in ArchVis or something.

07 July 2013
Did anyone actually attend the AUG meeting? Anyone care to comment on what was shown, instead of speculating which app will survive and which one won't. It seems like no one actually was there, was this an empty room?

07 July 2013
Autodesk staff has commented elsewhere that the article seems very speculative and isn't quite reflecting what was said or shown.

Mind, nobody is confirming or saying anything one way or another, this might be for any number of reasons between outside of quarter corp policies to not quite knowing the whole roadmap yet, but it's probably best waiting a little bit longer before drawing conclusions, at least bold ones.

07 July 2013
It does appear that all three Max speakers cancelled for whatever reason, so it's difficult to speculate with any accuracy. I also never really learned Max, and have no real reason to. Out of the box Maya had all the tools I've needed for arch/viz, and while it's a bit more work you also have a lot more flexibility in Maya.

If the Maya speakers had cancelled, perhaps it would have been a wash? But I don't see anything interesting in Bifrost that I would use. More fluid/particle sims? Is Realflow not enough? I've used Maya Fluids twice for work in the last decade, simulating a Japanese water feature design and analyzing shower head placement for a rather picky client. Not exactly bread and butter stuff.

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by Cheesestraws: Silly Max users freaking out that the VFX tool got implemented in the more widely used VFX program, Autodesk are crazy!

Yes sure Maya is VFX leader - maybe as Animation package?
This good that AD implement technology in somewhere.
Then it migrating to other's like Viewcube.

07 July 2013
Not sure what to say here, but don't throw 3dsMax under the bus if you don't know it.
It has tons of features Maya doesn't, and you guys would seriously love some of those features that it has.
I use both Maya and Max.

07 July 2013
Sure, Max is a great program. It however has zero features I need or "love", as my clients are both unaware and indifferent to its existence. Drop the word Maya on a high-level Microsoft employee posing as a cash-chucking homeowner, though, and they fall in love. I'm not remotely against Max; most people use Max precisely to do what I do for a living, so it's obviously entirely viable, I just prefer Maya's flexibility. This isn't a Max vs. Maya thread at all...

This is a hype vs. who-cares thread.

Quote: Bifröst
Quote:
In Norse mythology, Bifröst or sometimes Bilröst, is a burning rainbow bridge that reaches between Midgard (the world) and Asgard, the realm of the gods.

Bifröst is coming.

The hype is pathetic here unless you work for the Bifrost company or Autodesk itself. nParticles already came. Realflow already came. Show us something important, relevant, or otherwise helpful or perhaps go write scary movie trailers? Details, evidence, and vocabulary aren't generally required in that field either.

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness: The hype is pathetic here unless you work for the Bifrost company or Autodesk itself. nParticles already came. Realflow already came. Show us something important, relevant, or otherwise helpful or perhaps go write scary movie trailers? Details, evidence, and vocabulary aren't generally required in that field either.

The "bifrost company" is Autodesk itself. Bifrost is Naiad's evolution, a company/IP they bought a while ago and everybody had been pissed off they hadn't apparently done much with since.
So, it is news. Whether you care or not (I personally don't) I'm not sure why all this angst The snippet you mention just explains why a name that most would consider odd, that's it, it's not even hype.

This thread isn't even about an AD announcement, it's about a third party max website mentioning it and people latching on onto it because it was tangentially Maya news.

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by oglu: Bifröst is coming.

Damn, and here I thought we're getting a cg food-generator called "Beef-roast" and you just typed it out wrong. Now that would have been a great new feature!

What the heck? Not that I'm complaining at the prospect of getting Naiad with Maya, but are they running out of more mundane, functional and hence easily interpretable names to call things in Maya? Wouldn't have some term from the Indian mythology or religions been more suitable to match the meaning of the host application's rather perfectly suitable naming?

"Maya is usually quoted as "illusion", centered on the fact that we do not experience the environment itself but rather a projection of it, created by us."

How exactely does "a burning rainbow bridge that reaches between Midgard and Asgard" relate to a fluid-simulator, btw? Next thing you know, you need an encyclopedia or mythology reference just to figure out what which feature does.

Anyways, are there news on when this will be included in a release?

Cheers!

Last edited by TheRazorsEdge : 07 July 2013 at 12:04 PM.

Thread Closed share thread