Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 07-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
Enzil
portfolio
Sean Francis
United Kingdom

Question Displacement Map/ Ramp Issue.

Okay so as you can see below I applied a ramp texture to my NURBS cable, which looked fine in the render. For some reason this is not reflected correctly in the viewport. Instead of having the correct appearance, the colours are more spread out with gradients rather than no interpolation.

It wouldn't really bother me although I want to apply a displacement map to the cable for some finer detail, but as you can see the displacement map responds to the viewport's appearance rather than the rendered image.

What options do I need to fiddle around with to get this to work. Thanks for your time.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
EdgeIcon
Veteran

portfolio
Landon Ginn
Dallas, USA

not sure if NURBS do this but select the object, open the UVtexture editor window (i know i know, bare with me) select the "texture" dropdown, and choose the ramp.. i think itll update properly.

if i recall, there is a preferences option for this kind of thing but im away from a maya currently so ill have to check later

Old 07-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
Enzil
portfolio
Sean Francis
United Kingdom

Exclamation

Hey thanks for your reply. Still not working though.

In that drop down is just the nurbsSurface name 'extrudedSurface3 | blinn3SG | ramp 2' which is checked.

Last edited by Enzil : 07-25-2013 at 08:08 AM.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
AlexSudnikov
PRO

portfolio
Alex Sudnikov
RU

Navigate to your material and check out "Hardware Texturing" tab , expand it :

"Texture channel" : the one you'd like to see in the viewport.
"Texture resolution" : probably what you need , switch to the higher value and you'll get more details.

Another kind of global solution is to switch to the High-Quality Rendering mode (Viewport --> Renderer->High Quality Rendering ) , but since it's applied to every visible object in a scene , it might be a little too heavy.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
Enzil
portfolio
Sean Francis
United Kingdom

Hi there. As you can see below it has improved it slightly but still doesn't appear how it should. The displacement map is still screwed up.

Thanks

Old 07-25-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
AlexSudnikov
PRO

portfolio
Alex Sudnikov
RU

Hm ,what about High Quality Rendering ?
Anyways , is your color texture also being used for displacement or those are different ?
I mean , on the first glance it looks like there's simply not enough vertices for the displacement to deal with ( at least if displacement and color use the same texture )...
If you're using Mental Ray , i'd try geometry approximation ( Window --> Rendering Editors--> mental ray --> approximation editor ) . Or simply smooth your objects just to see if it is the case.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #7
Enzil
portfolio
Sean Francis
United Kingdom

Thumbs up

Ah yea you're right. There wasn't enough vertices. I went into the tessellation options and just upped the V Divisions on it and now it's working. For some reason I just figured it would just form additional geometry based on the ramp. Well I've learnt something. Thanks for your help man.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #8
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread