Free Math Nodes

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2013
Free Math Nodes

Title pretty much says it all.
The classic, long time missing, fundamental Maya nodes (trig, limit functions, constants and so on) that every version comes out without and every version someone stops compiling theirs for

http://www.thejaco.com/wp/maya-math-nodes-available/

Available for 2013 and 2014 since CGDNA stopped compiling his and I got them almost hassle free out of a SWIGgy project I'm working on.

Largely untested other than 2014 for my own use, so just post a comment or drop me a line if something isn't working. They WILL NOT work for 2013ext, it's not the same as 2013. A compile for that will come at some point, as soon as I get hold of the includes for that specific version.

07 July 2013
So are these essentially made from the CGDNA source code or did you make your own?

07 July 2013
Nah, different inception entirely
My nod at CGDNA is because he provides builds for 2012 and prior and I don't, and both offer functions which are a wrapper of the standard library's cmath, that's where the things in common end.
Implementation of nodes like this is stupidly trivial anyway.

07 July 2013
So, for all those who can compile and have the CGDNA source it doesn`t make sense to turn to your math nodes. Or do you have more to offer? : )

07 July 2013
To be really honest I always cooked my own, I only had a quick look at the source before recommending them and that's about it.
They (CGDNA's) are split more granularly, and he's implemented some stuff I personally didn't really care for but it's there if you'll ever need an hyperbolic sine in a rig

I think he typed everything as doubles so you'll get some redundant conversion nodes (don't quote me on this, again I only looked at the source) while I type angles and units as such to avoid unnecessary conversions.
I also tossed in some boundary management for functions with a domain to avoid inf and nans (arc sin and arc cosine outside -1 and +1) if you want it and incorporate radius as a factor to spare some nodes where it makes sense.
Not every single function is shielded (IE: you can get nans or infs if you do something stupid like an even Nth root of a negative numbers) but in no domain I could get Maya to crash in those cases. Those are left to error naturally intentionally as there's no continuous solution outside of their domain.

All in all, not really that much difference really. They are free and if I'll ever get tired of maintaining them I'll just release the source, so you can give them a try, but the differences are more a matter of preference than anything. As I said this kind of nodes is trivial to implement, it takes longer to write the webpages and the dressing than it does the compute function for the nodes

Last edited by ThE_JacO : 07 July 2013 at 11:43 AM.

07 July 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread