Scaling uniformly in the uv editor

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
Scaling uniformly in the uv editor

Hi All

Anyone know how to switch on uniform scaling of uv`s in maya, they seem to have got rid
of it in 2012/2013 versions. The only way I can get it to work is stabbing around the centre of
the scale modifier until it does it and its driving me nuts!

Thanks

06 June 2013
This is unbelievably annoying
The only solution I have found, which isn't really a solution, is to zoom in closer.
If I am far away from the uvs or the uv editor window is small, I can NEVER get the uniform scale to work.

A more 'real' solution is very welcome

06 June 2013
Do you mean that the manipulator is broken?
Maybe you can work around it with my UV Editor: http://www.creativecrash.com/script...shade-uv-editor

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by DeadlyNightshade: Do you mean that the manipulator is broken?
Maybe you can work around it with my UV Editor: http://www.creativecrash.com/script...shade-uv-editor

Thanks thats pretty much solved the problem, only had a quick play but looks like I'll carry on using your script, well done.
One problem I found was that the u , v and u/v icons in the side panel didnt seem to work. All the others were fine?

Paul

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by DeadlyNightshade: Do you mean that the manipulator is broken?[/url]

If you click on the very bottom left corner of the middle part of the manipulator, you can scale uniformly. It's super annoying. Luckily, once you have the middle activated you can MMB drag to scale uniformly.

gibby3d.com

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by paulruk: Anyone know how to switch on uniform scaling of uv`s in maya, they seem to have got rid
of it in 2012/2013 versions.

Originally Posted by jgibz: If you click on the very bottom left corner of the middle part of the manipulator, you can scale uniformly. It's super annoying.

For me uniform scaling is on by default, and it is not annoying. Quite the opposite. Super obvious, I would have said.
Click "r" then MM-Drag.

Forget stabbing around. Its a pretty large target on the odd occasion that I actually need to click it.

David

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by paulruk: Thanks thats pretty much solved the problem, only had a quick play but looks like I'll carry on using your script, well done.
One problem I found was that the u , v and u/v icons in the side panel didnt seem to work. All the others were fine?

Paul

They work. You just have to think in decimals.
2.0 in the input field = you scale something up 200%
0.5 in the input field = you scale something down 50%
1.0 gives you nothing

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by djx: For me uniform scaling is on by default, and it is not annoying. Quite the opposite. Super obvious, I would have said.
Click "r" then MM-Drag.

Forget stabbing around. Its a pretty large target on the odd occasion that I actually need to click it.

David

That is not how it is as standard, you have to middle drag from the top right of the centre in order to do the uniform scale. I`ve been using maya since beta and this changed after 2011 which is annoying when something you use so often suddenly doesnt work the same.

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by djx: For me uniform scaling is on by default, and it is not annoying. Quite the opposite. Super obvious, I would have said.
Click "r" then MM-Drag.

David

I`m going to have to reinstall 2013 without the uv script as it overrides something on the original maya uv editor and will recheck.

07 July 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread