FATAL ERROR: Attempting to save in...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
Angry FATAL ERROR: Attempting to save in...

Hi folks..
im desperated of this sick error Im still getting on startup and I cant get rid of it!

Fatal Error. Attempting to save in C:/DOCUME..... ....Temp/Adrian.20050602.1529.ma

Im using (or I was...) Students version of maya 2014 and this error I was getting on maya 2013, too. This was not happenning before, but due som problems I had to reinstall my Windows 7 Ultimate x64 few weeks before and since I installed 2013 version I started to get this error after few maya starts. I searched forums and stuff for this, also I posted my crash info to autodesk but not a sigle fu*k was given by them. Now I decited to clear all my computer from autodesk products (matchmover, mudbox etc) with all folders and subfolders and everything around it and two days before I isntalled students version of 2014 x64 dwnlded from autodesk website. for two days I was running it with no problem, and now.. this suddenly came up again... im sick of it! its a fuc*ing nightmare....

I would really appreciate any help...

oh, and also for the record, my system specifications:
notebook Acer Aspire v3-571g
intel core i5 3210 2.5GHz
nVidia GeForce 630M 2GB
8gb ram
Win 7 Ultimate 64-bits
(maya 2014 x64 students version)

Old 06 June 2013   #2
Is this just when opening Maya, or is it a specific scene file?

Old 06 June 2013   #3
Originally Posted by pollos: Is this just when opening Maya, or is it a specific scene file?

when I open maya.. before I can click anywhing this error comes up

Old 06 June 2013   #4
pleaaase anyone ? :/ its happening since I reinstalled windows

Old 06 June 2013   #5
I would start by renaming the prefs folder (forces Maya to recreate new) and cleaning the system temp folder.

Old 06 June 2013   #6
Originally Posted by fleabay: I would start by renaming the prefs folder (forces Maya to recreate new) and cleaning the system temp folder.

thanks fleabay, but both I already tryed before like billion times :/ deleting/renaming prefs folder is advised everywhere around forums as first.. I tryed delete entire "maya" folder from Documents, too, but still no go.. :/
also I tryed upgrade/downgrade video drivers, somewhere I read that triple buffering in graphic card settings may be causing this, but I have it set to OFF as default.

You know, Im still thinking about this and it dont make any sense to me.. I can reinstall entire maya, it will AGAIN works for two-three days and error comes up again.. funny is the day it crashed, it was at evening, but before at morning I was working with maya with no problem..

Old 06 June 2013   #7
Is there a plug-in that you enable some time after installing?

Old 06 June 2013   #8
Originally Posted by fleabay: Is there a plug-in that you enable some time after installing?

actually there is such a plugin.. Craft Director Studio (trial version), because I need it to finish my work I started (animation of two car race). Do you think this is causing it? if so, than why the problem apperas after few starts ?

EDIT: I tryed righ now to reiinstall maya and not to install any plugin, and still get the error on startup.

Last edited by shadow92 : 06 June 2013 at 01:34 PM.

Old 06 June 2013   #9
Is there a CER report that you submitted that can be searched for ? Something unique, email

Have you installed a recent Nvidia driver ?

Is your laptop Optimus enabled ? Can you turn off the auto switch and enable Nvidia discrete only (bios/hardware switch) and try running Maya

Old 06 June 2013   #10
Originally Posted by shadow92: actually there is such a plugin.. Craft Director Studio (trial version), because I need it to finish my work I started (animation of two car race). Do you think this is causing it? if so, than why the problem apperas after few starts ?

EDIT: I tryed righ now to reiinstall maya and not to install any plugin, and still get the error on startup.

Not 100% sure, but if you reinstall, the prefs folder still remains, which is where maya knows what plugins to load. Not all plugins install themselves in the maya program folder and I don't believe that uninstalling maya removes files other than the ones that itself installs.

Again, try renaming the prefs folder and don't enable the plugin.

Old 06 June 2013   #11
Originally Posted by fleabay: Not 100% sure, but if you reinstall, the prefs folder still remains, which is where maya knows what plugins to load. Not all plugins install themselves in the maya program folder and I don't believe that uninstalling maya removes files other than the ones that itself installs.

Again, try renaming the prefs folder and don't enable the plugin.

asi I said before, renaming/deleting prefs folder didnt work for me and so I did at last reinstall, but you re right, if you reinstall, the prefs folder remains.

Old 06 June 2013   #12
Originally Posted by warnold: Is there a CER report that you submitted that can be searched for ? Something unique, email

Have you installed a recent Nvidia driver ?

Is your laptop Optimus enabled ? Can you turn off the auto switch and enable Nvidia discrete only (bios/hardware switch) and try running Maya

thanks, your post brought me to idea to try it run with integrated intel graphics, and voilá - it seems working . Im curious for how long it will last to the next error Yes, I send a CER to autodesk (twice, but I dont rememeber the ID number), and yes, I have latest nvidia drivers
i ll keep this topic updated

Old 06 June 2013   #13
Originally Posted by shadow92: I have latest nvidia drivers

Did you update the drivers at some point before this started happening? Maybe you don't need the latest drivers?

Old 06 June 2013   #14
Originally Posted by gmask: Did you update the drivers at some point before this started happening? Maybe you don't need the latest drivers?

my drivers are being updated automatically so I can not detrmine certain version when this started happening. but I tryed in past some driver downgrade and it didnt help.. :/
now when Im running maya with intel graphics it works, but sometimes it simply decides to crash, like when I saved a settings preset for Sunlight it crashed with same error.. so its pretty unstable now

Old 10 October 2013   #15
Hi Shadow,

I have the same Problem occuring. But in my case, I deleted parts of the temp folder, bevore the phenomenon appeared. Maybe it causes the same problems, as if I had a new Windows Version installed.

But: As it happened with Maya 2012, I uninstalled that version and then installed the 2014 version. As you already mentioned, Shadow, Maya 2014 worked for a few days without any problem. And now - out of the blue - it crashes again.

Preferences deleted: check
Maya reinstalled: check
shouting loud and angry in front of my monitor: check

It must have a relation to that temp folder.

Any ideas?

BTW: I had problems with my onboard graphic card switch as well.

Hardware: Acer Aspire 5750 G
core i7
8GB RAM
Windows 7
GEFORCE GT 540M 2GB

Thread Closed share thread