I’m Xiaolu, one of Maya designers. I’d like to get your feedback about Maya Small Annoying Things.
To effectively and easily create 3D contents with Maya, Autodesk launched the project of “Maya Small Annoying Things” several months ago. We setup two forums:
1. Small Annoying Things (SAT)
which intend to resolve the little annoying quirks and problems in Maya that you might have gotten used to over the years but that really should be fixed.One SAT is supposed to be easily and quickly fixed by one of our developers within 1 month.
2. Ideas for Maya
which intend to collect anything bigger than SAT. For example, your suggestions for the upcoming Maya release, etc. It could be bigger than one month development.
Maya 2014 was out and you may play it for a while. We fixed 30+ SAT and 10+ ideas in Maya2014 actually. I’d like to list some of the fixed issues in Maya2014.
Small Annoying Things:
- Insert edge loop with surface flow (215 Votes)
- Ship PySide with Maya (110 Votes)
- Merge adjacent edges with the bridge tool (74 Votes)
- Alt pan in the Outliner (61 Votes)
- Improve the interactive split tool (53 Votes)
- Flip normal when freezing scale transforms on negatively scale objects (74 Votes)
- Edges display doesn't deselect (91 Votes)
- Disable "Notes" in Attribute Editor (64 Votes)
- Attribute Spread Sheet: filter visible attributes by name (40 Votes)
- `skip existing frames` option in render Settings window/editor for software, ogs, and MR please(33 Votes)
- Degrees for Bend Tool Curvature Instead of Radians (28 Votes)
- Move the outliner object based icons to the right of the objects name (21 Votes)
- Do not prompt for a file save on exit, if file has just been saved (52 Votes)
- Window size should be remembered after closing Maya (42 Votes)
Ideas for Maya:
- Retopology(80 Votes)
- NEX toolset in Maya (65 Votes)
- Support all modeling tools in Viewport 2.0 (19 Votes)
You could also read the blog of Cory Mogk (Maya Product Manager) for more details about SAT and Maya2014.
What’s next? Any suggestions for the next versions of Maya?
Call for Suggestion and Votes
If you have any suggestions about Maya, please feel free to reply this post. Or submit and vote at SAT/Ideas forum. For a certain issue, the more votes the more possibility to get fixed generally. Everyone will have 20 votes, and your votes will be returned if your voted issue is completed.
Note: You need Autodesk ID to login to SAT and ideas forums. There will be more info when you click “Sign in”.
The link to Small Annoying Things forum:
The link to Ideas for Maya Forum: