XiaoluXu
portfolio
Xiaolu Xu
Maya & Mudbox Product Designer
Autodesk
China

Review of the Maya Small Annoying Things Forum

Hey friends,

I’m Xiaolu, one of Maya designers. I’d like to get your feedback about Maya Small Annoying Things.

To effectively and easily create 3D contents with Maya, Autodesk launched the project of “Maya Small Annoying Things” several months ago. We setup two forums:

1. Small Annoying Things (SAT)
which intend to resolve the little annoying quirks and problems in Maya that you might have gotten used to over the years but that really should be fixed.One SAT is supposed to be easily and quickly fixed by one of our developers within 1 month.

2. Ideas for Maya
which intend to collect anything bigger than SAT. For example, your suggestions for the upcoming Maya release, etc. It could be bigger than one month development.

Maya 2014 was out and you may play it for a while. We fixed 30+ SAT and 10+ ideas in Maya2014 actually. I’d like to list some of the fixed issues in Maya2014.

Small Annoying Things:

1. Insert edge loop with surface flow (215 Votes)
  2. Ship PySide with Maya (110 Votes)
  3. Merge adjacent edges with the bridge tool (74 Votes)
  4. Alt pan in the Outliner (61 Votes)
  5. Improve the interactive split tool (53 Votes)
  6. Flip normal when freezing scale transforms on negatively scale objects (74 Votes)
  7. Edges display doesn't deselect (91 Votes)
  8. Disable "Notes" in Attribute Editor (64 Votes)
  9. Attribute Spread Sheet: filter visible attributes by name (40 Votes)
  10. `skip existing frames` option in render Settings window/editor for software, ogs, and MR please(33 Votes)
  11. Degrees for Bend Tool Curvature Instead of Radians (28 Votes)
  12. Move the outliner object based icons to the right of the objects name (21 Votes)
  13. Do not prompt for a file save on exit, if file has just been saved (52 Votes)
  14. Window size should be remembered after closing Maya (42 Votes)
Please find the full list of fixed SATs in Maya2014 here:
http://mayafeedback.autodesk.com/fo...m/status/699758

Ideas for Maya:
  1. Retopology(80 Votes)
  2. NEX toolset in Maya (65 Votes)
  3. Support all modeling tools in Viewport 2.0 (19 Votes)
Please find the full list for fixed ideas in Maya2014 here
http://mayafeedback.autodesk.com/fo...m/status/699758

You could also read the blog of Cory Mogk (Maya Product Manager) for more details about SAT and Maya2014.
http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/cory...ng-things-forum

What’s next? Any suggestions for the next versions of Maya?
Call for Suggestion and Votes
If you have any suggestions about Maya, please feel free to reply this post. Or submit and vote at SAT/Ideas forum. For a certain issue, the more votes the more possibility to get fixed generally. Everyone will have 20 votes, and your votes will be returned if your voted issue is completed.
Note: You need Autodesk ID to login to SAT and ideas forums. There will be more info when you click “Sign in”.
The link to Small Annoying Things forum:
http://mayafeedback.autodesk.com/fo...x-in-maya-forum

The link to Ideas for Maya Forum:
http://mayafeedback.autodesk.com/fo...-for-maya-forum

Last edited by XiaoluXu : 06-19-2013 at 07:32 AM.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
U2-xxl
Veteran
portfolio
Scott
Animator
Matrix Studio
Shanghai, China

Send a message via MSN to U2-xxl Send a message via Yahoo to U2-xxl
Cool

The Flip normal feature really hit the point.
The NEX thing is quite helpful, now I can rotopologize in Maya!
Thanks a lot !

I just accessed the forum. The top 1 is shader ball improvement. Hope you can fix it as soon as possible. That will save quite a lot of time.

Also I found Voronoi Shatter is in the list. DMM shatter is ugly. I need Voronoi Shatter! With bullet I can destroy building all in Maya !

Old 06-26-2013, 02:19 AM   #3
hmaya

portfolio
Zhihao Li
Sofware developer
Autodesk
Shanghai, China

Let me report one issue of Maya2014 here.
The font of node editor is not comfortable , especially zoom in the node. See attached image. The gap between letters looks pretty bad
Attached Images
File Type: png NEFont.png (70.5 KB, 118 views)

Old 06-26-2013, 03:25 AM   #4
fleabay
Attribute Editor
portfolio
Puddin' Tane
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmaya
Let me report one issue of Maya2014 here.
The font of node editor is not comfortable , especially zoom in the node. See attached image. The gap between letters looks pretty bad

"Currently Employed as: Sofware developer
Autodesk
Shanghai"

Really?

Old 06-26-2013, 07:01 AM   #5
hmaya

portfolio
Zhihao Li
Sofware developer
Autodesk
Shanghai, China

Yup, I'm one of Maya developers. Please feel free to report Maya small annoying bugs or suggestions here. I'll go through them together with my colleagues and log them on SAT forum (userVoice) for voting.

As Xiaolu mentioned, we are going to focus on the highly voted issues and get them fixed as soon as possible ... as more as we can.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
sentry66
Expert

portfolio
node crazy
USA

I might be in the minority, but I really get tired of the mib_amb_occlusion nodes taking forever to update its useless swatch in the hypershade. These nodes seem to take an especially long time if there's a long network plugging into it.

I use a lot of procedural textures and swatches end up becoming a big deal and slow down after awhile when networks get huge - especially if they're driven by geometry or animation.

I use the "renderThumbnailUpdate false" command all the time and it's a major time savor for me, but it's also too bad that it's all or nothing. The "refresh swatch" in the right click menu does nothing when "renderThumbnailUpdate false" is active. Is there a way to have the "refresh swatch" update that swatch while the other swatch updates are still turned off?

Also, it would be handy to have some sort of "update all swatches" command that would update all material and texture swatches at all four resolutions (except ones I drag/dropped a render view image onto) while I go get a coffee. Maybe it could even report some feedback for how many swatches are left to update.

While we're at it, can there be a command in the right click menu to reset the swatches that are selected so I can delete my custom renderview drag/drop swatches? It really sucks to have no choice but to delete the swatches files and start the whole thing over - especially when you delete a bunch of materials/textures you no longer need, but they still bulk up the swatch file.

I admit I'm still not using the node editor yet because it doesn't support containers so I'm not even sure if the issue is solved there.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #7
sentry66
Expert

portfolio
node crazy
USA

another one - not sure if it's already listed on the small annoying things site - haven't read it all yet.

The ability to have your free perspective camera to pivot around the object/surface your mouse cursor is currently pointing at similar to how zbrush navigates.

Maybe either an option in the preferences or an alternate button combination like alt+ctl and LMB.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #8
derMarkus
Expert
portfolio
Markus Pech
Digital Artist
Die Astronauten
Germany

Thanks for the fixes, some of them come in really handy. Good to see, that the lists are really recognized!

Old 06-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #9
djx
Where's my pony?

David Johnson
vfx & creature td
Melbourne, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by XiaoluXu
12. Move the outliner object based icons to the right of the objects name (21 Votes)

I'm so glad you did NOT actually do what those 21 votes suggested. Moving the + and icon to the immediate left of the name was a much better idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XiaoluXu
I’d like to get your feedback about Maya Small Annoying Things.
I have to admit I'm in two minds about it.

On the one hand, at last you have fixed some things that really should have been fixed years ago.

But on the other hand I'm not sure I like the idea of maya being a vote driven product. For example, if 21 votes did succeed in getting the icons moved to the right of the name in the outliner, I would have been very annoyed. I think the problem might be that annoyed people are going to be voting strongly, where as happy people wont be as likely to go there. So your votes are going to be skewed.

David

Old 06-27-2013, 03:20 AM   #10
de3p
portfolio
Daniel B.
Poland

The "lowres" max texture size maya can handle is annoying. Well, its true you can load bigger textures than 8192x8192 in and render it (with some render engines), and I already loaded in textures of a resolution like 20000x10000, but maya doesn't handle this very well. in fact when loading in you have to check the disable file load button or maya is going crazy. Thats bad if you for example want to make a good looking sky etc.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:49 AM   #11
XiaoluXu
portfolio
Xiaolu Xu
Autodesk
China

Quote:
Originally Posted by de3p
The "lowres" max texture size maya can handle is annoying. Well, its true you can load bigger textures than 8192x8192 in and render it (with some render engines), and I already loaded in textures of a resolution like 20000x10000, but maya doesn't handle this very well. in fact when loading in you have to check the disable file load button or maya is going crazy. Thats bad if you for example want to make a good looking sky etc.

Glad to hear that. You could log a big annoying thing for that.

One way to fix that is use multi UV tile texture. i.e. you could assign many textures in different UV space for one mesh. You can get huge resolution like 100x4k texture.

To paint that texture, you should use Mudbox. It use some engine to enhance the performance like google earth, so you can get real time feedback.

After you finished that, you could send the file into maya and render.

Here is the lecture:

http://www.digitaltutors.com/tutori...xture-Workflows

Old 06-27-2013, 05:02 AM   #12
XiaoluXu
portfolio
Xiaolu Xu
Autodesk
China

Quote:
Originally Posted by djx
I'm so glad you did NOT actually do what those 21 votes suggested. Moving the + and icon to the immediate left of the name was a much better idea.

I have to admit I'm in two minds about it.

On the one hand, at last you have fixed some things that really should have been fixed years ago.

But on the other hand I'm not sure I like the idea of maya being a vote driven product. For example, if 21 votes did succeed in getting the icons moved to the right of the name in the outliner, I would have been very annoyed. I think the problem might be that annoyed people are going to be voting strongly, where as happy people wont be as likely to go there. So your votes are going to be skewed.

David

When a SAT is on the table, we have a bunch of designers and Beta users discuss on that. Like that Outliner improvement. The final design is suggested by Beta user and refined by designers.

The ground rule is don't bring in another annoying thing by fixing one.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #13
Undseth
Lord of the posts

I would like to have seen shelf buttons having had a simple option for widening a shelf button and to allow more letters to show (smaller font, wider button).

Old 06-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #14
XiaoluXu
portfolio
Xiaolu Xu
Autodesk
China

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undseth
I would like to have seen shelf buttons having had a simple option for widening a shelf button and to allow more letters to show (smaller font, wider button).

We have similar request here.
http://mayafeedback.autodesk.com/fo...st-shelf-height

Feel free to log an item and vote

Last edited by XiaoluXu : 06-27-2013 at 03:00 PM.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #15
XiaoluXu
portfolio
Xiaolu Xu
Autodesk
China

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentry66
I might be in the minority, but I really get tired of the mib_amb_occlusion nodes taking forever to update its useless swatch in the hypershade. These nodes seem to take an especially long time if there's a long network plugging into it.

I use a lot of procedural textures and swatches end up becoming a big deal and slow down after awhile when networks get huge - especially if they're driven by geometry or animation.

I use the "renderThumbnailUpdate false" command all the time and it's a major time savor for me, but it's also too bad that it's all or nothing. The "refresh swatch" in the right click menu does nothing when "renderThumbnailUpdate false" is active. Is there a way to have the "refresh swatch" update that swatch while the other swatch updates are still turned off?

Also, it would be handy to have some sort of "update all swatches" command that would update all material and texture swatches at all four resolutions (except ones I drag/dropped a render view image onto) while I go get a coffee. Maybe it could even report some feedback for how many swatches are left to update.

While we're at it, can there be a command in the right click menu to reset the swatches that are selected so I can delete my custom renderview drag/drop swatches? It really sucks to have no choice but to delete the swatches files and start the whole thing over - especially when you delete a bunch of materials/textures you no longer need, but they still bulk up the swatch file.

I admit I'm still not using the node editor yet because it doesn't support containers so I'm not even sure if the issue is solved there.

We have a Big Annoying Thing logged for this :
http://mayafeedback.autodesk.com/fo...pershade-faster-

Feel free to vote.

Thread Closed share thread