Best App For Posable Reference Figures

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
Best App For Posable Reference Figures

Sorry for hamfisted newbie question. If anyone has a moment would really appreciate help to work out which app to shell out forómy lassie is a 2D comic book artist and I want to make posable models to easily manipulate into scenes. I donít need to do flashy textured high detailed workórather anatomically correct figures that can be easily sat down, placed in mid-leap, arm raised (etc, etc, etc) and viewed from any angle. Is Maya best for this? Modo? What? Is there another app thatís easier or better for this purpose (although I donít mind steep learning curve).

Thanks for any opinion.

06 June 2013
Maya is great but overkill and doesn't come with any human models. Try Daz Studio first (but give them a disposable email address when signing up).

The app is free. They make all their money off a store selling extra figures, costumes and accessories. Check it out first though. Depending on whether your lassie is your girlfriend or your daughter you might find the store a little seedy.

The other alternative is Poser, which was designed originally for exactly what you described. It costs a couple of hundred dollars, is a bit of a bloated mess, and also has a seedy model store, but may be worth a look.

I should point out that neither app is particularly respected by professional CGI animators, probably because they're not wonderfully designed applications, but I think mostly because they're responsible for some pretty awful 'art'. Google Image Search if you dare.

06 June 2013
Thank you for the reply. Thatís pretty much all I need to know. I want to build custom animal-comic book characters quickly, so it looks like bloated amateur Poser or DAZ is indeed the way to go. (I might look into Maya and ZBrush another time though, as I do fancy learning how to put something exquisite together.)

06 June 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread