My new 7 minutes Animation HD

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
Smile My new 7 minutes Animation HD

Hello guys, I have been learning Maya for 1,5 years and I'm 18. Last year I made an animation and now I have my second animation which is more professional than the first one. It took 7 months to prepare it. Every model in my animation belongs to me. I want you to criticise my animation with both good aspects and bad aspects.

This is my first animation (If you want you can only watch the second animation)(Took 1,5 month to prepare it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtyxeV8u9JA

This shows how I made our animation (actually the models) (start the video from 1.07)(The 2. person that you see in this movie help me to find musics, and combine the render pictures.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9e3bFAhIh4

And This is my second animation (Took 7 months to prepare it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_2szbjsKaM

Thank you all for your replies.

Old 05 May 2013   #2
Nice animations! The rendering was also well done and I liked the music choices. And I can definitely see the improvement from your first animation.

Here are my critiques: First of all, don't ever let a character stay completely still. For example, when the dad is looking at the photo of his son he doesn't move at all. With CG animation you always have to have some little movements going for "life" such as breathing, weight shifting, etc. Otherwise the character goes "dead." Secondly, use more of the body. You'd be surprised how much the shoulders, torso, and hips twist and shift throughout most ordinary motions. Turning those parts as the character walks would help make the walks less stiff. Lastly, while the compositions in the second film were improved over the first, you still had a lot of shots with the character in the center of the screen. That often creates a more static composition. Try putting them more to the right or left.

But overall, I'm very impressed that you've made two whole shorts in 1.5 years of using Maya. I've been an animation student for 3 years and the longest short I've animated was 35 seconds long. Which leads me to my main advice: if you want to be mainly an animator (and not a modeler, rigger, or lighting person) then you will improve the most by doing many short animation tests. Making a whole short from scratch involves so many components that you really only get to practice your animation a little. Get some free rigs like the ones over on CreativeCrash so that you won't have to worry about rigging problems, and do a bunch of walk cycles, heavy box lifts, emotion changes, etc. Then post them over at the 11 Second Club and YouAnimator along with on here. The more critiques you get, the better! Keep practicing, you've already got good storytelling skills and the better you can animate the better you can tell your stories.

Old 05 May 2013   #3
Thank you for your critiques and as you said I'll more focus on character animation to get something more realistic. And also from now on I'll make a lot of short animation movie (4-5 seconds) until I improve my skills on character animation.

Old 05 May 2013   #4
Doesn't anybody have any more suggest for me ? I really need your opinions...

Last edited by ehturan : 05 May 2013 at 07:42 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread