Quicker way to place polys on a surface?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
Align leaves on a cartoon tree

I'm modelling a bunch of stylised trees, like this one:

I have a dome shape beneath the leaves to act as a surface for the leaves to attach to.

I've positioned the pivot on the back of the initial leaf near the top then duplicated it and positioned using snap to curve or vertex, then transformed each leaf accordingly.

Doing this gives me the result I'm after, but it's quite laborious, and I wondered if there might be a quicker way to do it.

I reckon no matter how it's done, I will have to adjust each leaf manually anyway, to make sure they don't intersect, and that they overlap correctly.

It would be great to be able to (semi) automate this process, as the more trees I can create in the time I have, the better my overall results will be.

I've tried the geometry paint tool, but the reults were too uniform, and the tool seems a bit limited.

I suspect I could use PaintFX, but I'm not sure where to start with it. I've used PaintFX before, but for 2D brushes. No idea how to create 3D brushes like this, and I'm kinda in that position where time is limited, so reading a manual/tutorial on something like that is a bit of a gamble because if it doesn't do what I expect, I'll have used up essential time. Yeah, that old chestnut

Anyone got any ideas?

Last edited by CurtJ : 05 May 2013 at 11:24 AM. Reason: New, improved title!

Old 05 May 2013   #2
you could try dodo master...
http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/d...-update-v0-2--2

Old 05 May 2013   #3
Originally Posted by oglu: you could try dodo master...
http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/d...-update-v0-2--2

+1 for dodo it's like a free version of Peregrine's Yeti

Old 05 May 2013   #4
Thumbs up Solved

Nice one peeps.

Superb script, just checking it out now.

Definitely looks like it'll do the job, just tweaking it - I'll post back when I've sorted it.

Thanks again

Old 05 May 2013   #5
You could also look for a scatter script on creative crash. Then you just select your leaf and the object you want the leaf duplicated on and it will scatter it for you.

or install bonustools and there is a paint geo tool.. you can paint duplicates of geo onto a surface.

Old 05 May 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread