Help with this model please!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
Help with this model please!

I'm not quite sure what I've done but I killed it!
Here is a screenshot of what it is like now. I have tried to undo it but nothing changes on that but things that I've done before have changed. I think it might have something to do with the polytosubshape but not too sure what that means.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l7ymsz5x0hyng3g/gun.PNG

Also might as well post it here.
When I bevel edges it creates n-gons, is that something that I should avoid?

Old 05 May 2013   #2
Originally Posted by TehOmbra: When I bevel edges it creates n-gons, is that something that I should avoid?

Usually yes, keeping n-gons out of a high-res mesh will help you avoid problems, especially when generating a displacement map. If you're just baking a color map or normal map, say, from a program like xnormal, a very small amount of n-gons might not be too much of an issue (I'm assuming, I've never tried to use high-res meshes with n-gons), but all together try to keep them out.

If you have a continuous loop you can bevel with no problems, but usually it's safer to stick with a quad model from the very start, and use insert edge loop. It's kind of a balance of time saved by beveling vs how long it takes you to fix n-gons.

A good approach for creating your gun would be to model the low-res, then just start inserting edge loops, using 3 on the keyboard to check smooth preview. You might even try modeling the low-res, then duplicating the gun before adding loops. That way you may be able to save time by not having to re-model a low-res cage over your high-res. If there are a ton of pieces involved, like sights, scopes, etc, then it might be best to just focus on the high-res, then remodel the low-res after, especially if you start using an additive process in creating detail on the high-res, like extruding beyond your original cage.

As for you image, I'm not sure what's causing your mesh to bug out like that. you can try to reassign/recreate the material or export and re-import as obj. As well as checking history.

gibby3d.com

Last edited by jgibz : 05 May 2013 at 10:19 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #3
Did you convert your poly mesh to a subD surface?

Old 05 May 2013   #4
Thanks jgibz for the explination

I may have, but not sure how to/how to undo it.

Old 05 May 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread