CGTalk > Software Specific Forums > Autodesk Maya
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 05-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #16
sentry66
Expert

portfolio
node crazy
USA

yeah, slowdowns can be that bad if something is using all the cores. I've seen it about that bad in some cases with Windows even when a background task is set to low priority. It just depends on how the I/O is being taxed.

If anyone has ever run AIDA64 with it's stress test that stresses CPU, memory, hard drive, FPU, GPU, and cache, even on a low priority running that will make the machine not very responsive.

However just running prime95 or something that just stresses CPU only without taxing your other I/O sub systems, things are almost 100% responsive when it's set as a lower priority

Old 05-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #17
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
Opinions are mine. You can't have them.
San_Francisrococo, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulruk
Are the slowdowns as bad as this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVDru52hfWo though?
i`ve never had it as slow as this, when you literately have to press ctrl+alt del to get the task manager up to regain mouse control?

mental ray seems to be worse than V-Ray in this regard so what you're seeing is common with what I know of mental ray in Windows.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #18
paulruk
PRO
portfolio
paul r
london, United Kingdom

[QUOTE=InfernalDarkness]@paulruk: I highly recommend the Asus Sabertooth motherboards, if that's an option for you.
/QUOTE]

Thanks, I have the Intel 2600k so would need something like the Intel Z77 chipset. I think i`m going to go with a cheaper gigabyte board which is half the cost of the Asus in the part of the world I live in. This was my first Asus board and to be honest i`m not that impressed, even though they are one of the better manufacturers out there. Once bitten twice shy I guess.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #19
paulruk
PRO
portfolio
paul r
london, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbeige
mental ray seems to be worse than V-Ray in this regard so what you're seeing is common with what I know of mental ray in Windows.

Thanks, Yes v-ray isnt too bad at all on my system, and you can adjust the threads and lower the priority in the settings. But Mental Ray just kills it, the ProLasso is saving my system now.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #20
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
San_Francisrococo, USA

don't buy a Gigabyte board. They make crap and I had to send two back because they just black out on boot and just fall apart in general. The ASRock mobo I have is good but I'd never buy another Gigabyte

Old 05-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #21
paulruk
PRO
portfolio
paul r
london, United Kingdom

Quote:
don't buy a Gigabyte board. They make crap and I had to send two back because they just black out on boot and just fall apart in general. The ASRock mobo I have is good but I'd never buy another Gigabyte

hehe I`ve been having another discussion on another forum and I initially was going for an ASRock Z77 Pro 3 board which is similar price to that gigabyte but they were saying dont get ASRock they have poor quality control ie things breaking off them easily and arriving dead .
Never owned either board , always had asus, msi or supermicro but they both seem to get decent reviews.

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/mainb...erboard/?page=9
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/48...view/index.html

Old 05-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #22
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
San_Francisrococo, USA

Read the newegg reviews for the board you are looking to buy. I didn't and tons of other people reported the same flakiness with Gigabyte. It's not worth the cost savings IMO. The miser pays twice, as the saying goes

Old 05-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #23
paulruk
PRO
portfolio
paul r
london, United Kingdom

Quote:
Read the newegg reviews for the board you are looking to buy. I didn't and tons of other people reported the same flakiness with Gigabyte. It's not worth the cost savings IMO. The miser pays twice, as the saying goes

I was looking on there earlier actually funnily enough., But if you look at the ASrock motherboards some of the reviews are horrendous, many turning up DOA. For example the gigabyte board i`m looking at has 18% of reviews with only 1 or 2 ratings compared to 26% for the similar ASrock. So by that should I take it that more people are unhappy with ASRock than Gigabyte?
I just find user reviews can sometimes be more of a hindrance than helpful and often more people who have had problems write bad reviews out of frustration. Certainly if there is a significant problem with a product its helpful but on the whole everyones experiences are different I find.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #24
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
San_Francisrococo, USA

I'm not saying ASRock is the best and obviously personal experience is to be taken with a grain of salt but there is a reason those Gigabyte boards are so cheap

When you're on a deadline and you get a black screen at the BIOS and a CMOS reset does nothing, saving $100 doesn't seem so smart

Old 05-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #25
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread