Huge slowdown when rendering MR or Vray

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
Huge slowdown when rendering MR or Vray

Hi All

have a problem with my pc slowing down drastically when rendering, its unusable with mental ray rendering.

I`m using a i7 2600k intel with 16gb 1600mhz dd3 ram and i`m pretty sure it never use to be as bad as it is now. I`m having to resort to putting maya into a low priority so that I can multi-task. The mouse stops for 5 secs then i can move it , then stops again.

Been trying various drivers on my system but i`m at a loss to what it could be.
Any ideas?

Thanks

Old 05 May 2013   #2
It's not a driver problem. It was like that when I ran Maya 3 on Windows 2000 and it still is like that in Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. Your only options are either to run Linux or OS X or use a utility to automatically gimp the maya render process

The irony is that mental ray for Windows is even slower than the other two while hogging the system completely:

http://polygonspixelsandpaint.tumbl...post/3353016788

Old 05 May 2013   #3
It's not a Windows issue outright, it's a priority issue. If you have mental ray set to use all available cores/resources, it's doing its best to do just that. You can set the Affinity for an application to use fewer cores as opposed to lowering the priority in TaskMan, for example. I'm still using Win7 myself (no plans to change that) and I have no issues with

Or you can look to a third-party solution, there are many free ones here. ProcessLasso, which gives you full control over everything. Maya will launch with the proper affinity if you like, or dynamic priority, or a host of other features and functions which you really won't find anywhere else. Most of this you can do already with some modifiers when launching Maya.exe, but ProcessLasso is the best application of its type I've found. There are others which may be free and may also help.

CGBeige has a massive bias against Windows and never really took the time to learn it, thus his sardonic remarks. Of course, you could spend thousands of dollars and try his "solution".

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Old 05 May 2013   #4
I always leave one or two CPUs for windows and the rest and I'm pretty happy with it; but I'll be honest at some point it's intelligent to invest in a render slave.

edit: also I have a quick powershell (.ps1) command to set the processor affinity when I forget to do so beforehand (i use it so often it's quicker than going in the task mngr). It sets each instance of mayabatch to use 6/8 procs - the 0x3F bit is the hex->decimal mask (00)111111

$mayas = Get-Process -ProcessName "mayabatch" 
foreach ($m in $mayas) {$m.ProcessorAffinity=0x3F}

Last edited by berniebernie : 05 May 2013 at 09:39 AM.

Old 05 May 2013   #5
Thanks for the replies.

I have been tinkering around and reinstalled windows on another partition, its interesting that it runs better on this new windows installation that has the default windows drivers than on my normal windows install. It still stutters about a bit, for example if I use Photoshop whilst rendering in maya I get straight lines every now and then when it slowsdown. But in my normal windows install it was impossible, the mouse would move a bit and lockup for a second , then move and lockup.

The priority management software is something i will sort out but there is something else on my normal windows setup thats causing this issue.

Old 05 May 2013   #6
Quote: It's not a Windows issue outright, it's a priority issue. If you have mental ray set to use all available cores/resources, it's doing its best to do just that. You can set the Affinity for an application to use fewer cores as opposed to lowering the priority in TaskMan, for example. I'm still using Win7 myself (no plans to change that) and I have no issues with

It's a Windows issue. My 4-core OS X laptop can render with Maya and comp in Nuke comfortably at the same time without dropping priorities. But my HP Z820 can't do the same in Windows that's why it's running Linux.

CGBeige has a massive bias against Windows and never really took the time to learn it, thus his sardonic remarks. Of course, you could spend thousands of dollars and try his "solution".

My gaming rig runs Windows 7 and I'm plenty familiar with Windows, from NT 4 all the way up to 7 and I review Windows VMs for Ars Technica, so get your bullshit straight:

http://arstechnica.com/features/201...eview-showdown/

And Linux is free, so the solution won't cost anything if you want an OS that can multitask properly.

Old 05 May 2013   #7
I use to have a HP Z820 workstation at work and i`m pretty sure it did a decent job of multi tasking whilst rendering in maya.

Think i`ll post a video on you tube to show what I mean.

Old 05 May 2013   #8
Heres a video of the slowdowns.

Just rendering with mental ray in the background and using paint to show the problem. You`ll see me trying to move the window around and then drawing it occasionally freezes.
Now I agree I can reduce the cores that maya is using but I dont remember it ever being this bad.

Thanks

Old 05 May 2013   #9
don't reduce your core usage. That's just the worst idea I've ever heard to force your OS to multitask properly when rendering. Just drop the priority.

Old 05 May 2013   #10
Thanks. I`m trying ProLasso which seems to be doing the job, but I still think there is an underlying issue with my PC as i`ve never had to use something like this before. But at least it saves me having to keep manually reducing the priorities.

Old 05 May 2013   #11
Quote: don't reduce your core usage. That's just the worst idea I've ever heard to force your OS to multitask properly when rendering. Just drop the priority.

The purpose of this thread wasn't to start a flame war, CGBeige. You brought the "use a Mac" argument to the table - completely unnecessary and irrelevant to the issue here. It'd be amusing, if you weren't so upset about it.

And given that you can't even make Maya work properly in Windows, it's obvious you lack the expertise you claim. If you're happy with your Apple computers, excellent. So please stick to blogging about your extremely biased specialties and let the Windows users help, when it comes to Windows. You're not helping at all here, just being argumentative and inflammatory once again.

@paulruk: It certainly seems like a driver issue, perhaps with your motherboard chipset drivers? I doubt it's the GPU drivers, but with your Photoshop issues that may play a part. Which graphics card are you using?

I'm experiencing excellent speed gains, 10% or more, when using ProcessLasso to manage threading vs. Windows alone. I can't recommend it enough. Responsiveness remains at 100% while rendering in mental ray, Photoshopping, and Rhinoing all at once. I'm generally using 5 cores for Maya and one for everything else (Phenom X6 1100T here), with dynamic boosts of course helping things along for CPU speed. With 6 cores rendering, responsiveness remains at 100% too though, until I start tossing other applications into play.

Old 05 May 2013   #12
Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness: @paulruk: It certainly seems like a driver issue, perhaps with your motherboard chipset drivers? I doubt it's the GPU drivers, but with your Photoshop issues that may play a part. Which graphics card are you using?

Thanks I`m using an Nvida gtx 465 but dont think its that, I`ve been trying various chipset drivers and not having much luck. I`m using a Asus P8P67 Pro motherboard, 16gb 1600mhz ram, 128gb SSd and tried various versions of chipset drivers but nothing changes. Had it for a few years now and I recall having similar issues about a year ago and a windows re-install fixed it. Getting close to just upgrading the motherboard to a newer chipset to see if that helps. I have some other issues like slower ssd benchmarks speed than normal and the very occasional black or corrupt screen (couple of times a month). So I`m just thinking of trying a new motherboard.

Old 05 May 2013   #13
Linux and OSX handle threading better in general. That's just a fact. You don't need to manually set priorities in them (though you can, and sometimes should), because it assumes whatever you're doing in the foreground gets priority.

Windows has always needed to have threads manually set lower to not interfere with foreground tasks.

I've noticed over the years as processors get more cores and memory gets more latency, that windows doesn't handle low priority jobs quite like it used to and they interfere more with foreground tasks. I've started restricting the number of cores, leaving 2 available for foreground tasks during the day, then use them all when I've left for the day.

The lag isn't always horrible if I have a background task set to use all cores/threads, but in some cases the computer is barely usable.

It gets confusing with hyperthreading. I don't count virtual cores as real cores, so on my 6-core/12 thread 3930k i7, I use 4 cores (4 threads total) during the day for background tasks so I have 2 real cores available, and when I leave I set it to use all 6 cores/12 threads. This is because if I set the background task to use 10 threads, it'll use all 6 cores, plus 4 hyperthreads, leaving me without any dedicated cores for foreground tasks.

Last edited by sentry66 : 05 May 2013 at 07:21 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #14
Are the slowdowns as bad as this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVDru52hfWo though?
i`ve never had it as slow as this, when you literately have to press ctrl+alt del to get the task manager up to regain mouse control?

Old 05 May 2013   #15
@paulruk: I highly recommend the Asus Sabertooth motherboards, if that's an option for you. Using the 990FX for both my Phenom 1100T and the FX-8120, and they're just wonderful and very feature-rich. You seem to know your salt so you likely don't need a recommendation, but they're working very well for me. I actually swapped in the 990FX on this Phenom after using one for awhile with the Bulldozer, and experienced some nice render-speed gains just switching to a better motherboard, here at work. Much better thermal control as well; the Thermal Radar software works flawlessly.

@Sentry66: Aye, it's well-established. I imagine much of what ProcessLasso is doing is something built-in to those operating systems, as CGB and I have pointed out before. One shouldn't need a third-party application to handle this stuff, but it also gives much more control and flexibility than any of the three OSs do out of the box, so it's a winner.

Thread Closed share thread