CGTalk > Software Specific Forums > Autodesk Maya
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 05-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
mobkon
Frequenter

portfolio
J T
USA

Rotating character and rig?

Hi - Pretty sure this is a very simple question. I'm not really an animator, so I'm having some stupid issues...

Having a bit of trouble rotating my character/rig. I've created a simple rig and bound it to my character model...but when I rotate my character and rig 180 degrees, the whole character gets deformed. If I delete history I can rotate, but then the rig isn't bound to my character anymore.

Is there an easy way to do this? I can't find anywhere that explains.

Thanks!

Old 05-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
jgibz
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Jack Gibbons
USA

It helps to have a master node that everything is parented under. You could do this with a control, an empty group node, or both. I'd create a control at the origin, then group your controls and skeleton, and parent the group to your master control.

gibby3d.com

Last edited by jgibz : 05-06-2013 at 03:37 PM.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
Horganovski
Freelance Animator/Rigger

portfolio
Brian Horgan
Graphite9
Dublin, Ireland

Another thing to keep in mind is that you should only be rotating the controls/joints, not the mesh itself or you'll get a double transformation.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 05-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #4
mobkon
Frequenter

portfolio
J T
USA

Ah, I should have mentioned that I DO have a main controller that I use to move everything together. I'm only able to move everything side to side or front to back. As soon as I start to rotate the main controller, the mesh starts getting deformed.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #5
jgibz
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Jack Gibbons
USA

Like Horganovski said, make sure you don't parent your mesh, also make sure you've only parented your root joint under the main control and haven't selected any other joints when you parent. Also make sure your main controller shares it's pivot with the root joint before parenting. If your root is at the pelvis or somewhere besides the scene origin then you can use an intermediate empty group as a parent to your controls and skeleton, then parent that under your main control.

If you have any free floating groups that are used to drive joints via constraints, make sure those are parented as well.

If this isn't working you can post a scene file and we'll take a look.

gibby3d.com

Old 05-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread