URGENT: .ma scene freezes at 97% on open

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
URGENT: .ma scene freezes at 97% on open

edit: I am just redoing the lost work now. However feel free to try to fix the old file if you want to

Hopefully this would be the right place to look for help. I was working on this scene when my computer locked up, so I had to do a hard reset. Upon trying to re-open it, it loads to 97% and freezes maya. Tried opening with both maya 2013 student and a cracked version of 2014. Was originally working on it in 2013 when it crashed.

I'm hoping that hope is not lost since it is an .ma afterall.

Hosted the zipped .ma on mediafire since it exceeds 2mb limit for attachments here.
http://www.mediafire.com/?rnq1z8qt7trdqu4

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by pollos : 05 May 2013 at 01:14 AM.

Old 05 May 2013   #2
The last line of your ma file contains numerous NULL characters. I can remove that line for you but most likely it will also remove something from your scene. Your best bet would be to revert to an earlier version.

Anyway, here is the ma file with the NULL lines removed. I can open it in my Maya 2012 but it has no shaders.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6bbzr4zw9...room_UVed_2.zip
Attached Images
File Type: png corrupt.png (8.7 KB, 19 views)

Old 05 May 2013   #3
I've seen maya do this quite a bit before, and to assume maya has frozen, may be an excuse for being impatient. In most cases maya is actually still processing the data it read from the scene and it will eventually finish.

I opened your scene into 2014 on windows. It took a few minutes after the "97% read" message appeared, before it returned control. There were the expected messages: "dont use this students work for commercial gain, or else..." (or something like that). And "scene opened with errors, some data loss may occur", which almost always pops up when opening a scene created in another version.

From looking at whats actually in the scene, its hard to say whether its all there or not. Although I suspect "not". There is evidence - large numbers of animCurves, utility nodes and textures - which would indicate a character rig was in there at some stage. It is not there now. Many of the mesh objects appear to have no actual mesh data. Nothing is in a shading group. None of the n stuff is connected to the nucleus. It is like someone deleted history on every single node in the scene.

I noticed these errors after the file was opened:

Quote: // File read in 135 seconds. //
// Error: MayaASCII file was missing a 'requires' statement, and may not have loaded as expected. //
// Warning: line 0: Errors have occurred while reading this scene that may result in data loss.
Please check the Script Editor for details. //
// Error: line 673: Could not find attribute named "C_selector_CTRL.select" //

When I opened your ma in a text editor it looks like it may have been corrupted on save. Or at least it has some weird nulls at the end of the file.

Maybe at this stage, redoing the work is not a bad idea. If you are doing that, then another good idea is to use one of the many incremental save scripts so that you do not trust all your work to a single file. I'd also suggest that, generally speaking, parenting objects under another object will lead to problems down the track. Create a group instead.

good luck
David

Old 05 May 2013   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread