Maya 2014 choppy and laggy

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
Maya 2014 choppy and laggy

Noticed that 2014 is really choppy. It seems to be UI related; every time I do something for the first time it lags and then it gets better. First time I open a window, select a component etc. Anyone else seen this? 2013 works flawlessly on the same system (GeForceGTX 675MX).

Cheers

Old 05 May 2013   #2
First thing I usually try is updating the graphics card drivers. I had some weird selection issues with 2014 and newer drivers seem to have fixed it.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 05 May 2013   #3
Yeah, I have the latest drivers. Also tried some gfx card settings without results.

Old 05 May 2013   #4
Originally Posted by Sibben71: 2013 works flawlessly on the same system

LOL, gotta see that.

Old 05 May 2013   #5
Originally Posted by fleabay: LOL, gotta see that.

Hehe. Flawlessly might be a bit much.

Old 05 May 2013   #6
Never mind. I solved this. Turns out I had installed it to a slow RAID setup rather than the system SSD. Now I just need to figure out why the RAID is performing so poorly.

Old 05 May 2013   #7
Hard drive performance caused this? You sure?

Old 05 May 2013   #8
Pretty sure. Reinstalled to a SSD and everything works fine.

Old 05 May 2013   #9
Once maya is opened, ram takes over for the most part. The re-install corrected a problem laying somewhere else.

Old 05 May 2013   #10
Originally Posted by egglybagelface: Once maya is opened, ram takes over for the most part. The re-install corrected a problem laying somewhere else.

Precisely. Which is why, I'm guessing, once a UI component had been loaded from disk it resided in memory. The problem I had was that each thing was choppy the first time used. This led me to suspect reading it into memory was the issue.

Old 05 May 2013   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread