Help with fighter craft afterBurner

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
Help with fighter craft afterBurner

i really need help as to how someone would achieve this effect without fluids. I was told by someone that u can use a ramp shader with sampler info node. But im not really sure what and how he meant. animated ramp will give the effect of burning. Help would be really appreciated since my project is on hold for this. I wanna stick to maya. Pleas thank you

05 May 2013
wow no help?

05 May 2013
I'd probably start by creating a few pieces of geometry that resemble the shape of the engine flames. Tapered cylinders should be fine, or nurbs. And yes, a ramp shader will probably work fine. I'd enable glow and 'hide source' on your shader, this could be a good starting point.

Sometimes hide source looks a little too tansparent, also it can get a bit tricky at distance. You could try not hiding source, but instead use another ramp to drive transparency on the geometry, making the flame closest to engine like 50 or 25%, then dial down towards the end of the flame to 0%. Combined with the shader glow, this could be an appropriate effect.

In terms of animation I can't really think of anything besides simple controls to scale the geometry. There are a slew of tutorials on fire, smoke, heat effects, sparks, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a tut out there that covers this specific example. Just hunt around on google and search on the forums.

A good amount of distortion in the flame itself might be easier to accomplish in comp.

gibby3d.com

Last edited by jgibz : 05 May 2013 at 08:34 PM.

05 May 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread