Bizarre Blend Shapes

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
Bizarre Blend Shapes

Ok so I noticed that a character needed a blink animation so I grabbed my already rigged and animated characters base pose and exported the mesh into a fresh Maya window to go about tweaking in a blink. I went down a couple of subdivisions in order to make this process easier and more accurate and oddly, when I apply the blend shape to the original model (in fact any model) it crumples up into a mess of polygons. I've tried creating basic test blend shapes off the original model which all worked successfully so it's got anything to do with the fact the character is animated. I'm truly stumped as to what the issue might be. The blink mesh contains the exact same number of faces, verts etc. I've got no clue :S Any way to see what the problem might be?

I wonder if this is just a matter of bad model editing but it doesn't seem logical that it would be... As far as I know, the blend shapes shouldn't care so much as long as the right number of verts are present.

Old 05 May 2013   #2
Okay so it seems that it's to do with my modeling method. Normally I don't model within Maya but in this instance I seem to have to.

When I manipulate one eye to be in the shut position, I then delete half the model and mirror geometry. This seems to come up with an unmatched number of verts so I then select the polys of the eye, separate it, mirror and combine the two closed eyes into the mesh. All good and the blend shape is accepted. However, the blend shape didnt exactly work as the mesh distorts completely.

I've checked to see if the blend shape would work with just one eye closing and it does. It only screws up when I use that method to mirror the eye. What can I do to make this better?

Old 05 May 2013   #3
Hi,

You have already got the problem. Yes you cannot delete anything while creating the blend shapes, something like mirroring. Blend-shapes works on the vertex orders. As when delete the half and mirror it the vertex order changed so Maya try to find the order number and make the mess.

Regards,
Cgsena

Old 05 May 2013   #4
Thanks cgsena

I'd just figured it all out as you replied. Seems so obvious now. I used the below script to mirror my geometry for the eye blinking so that I now have a symmetrical blink. Maya made this too difficult :S

http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/d...vertex-for-maya

Old 05 May 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread