CGTalk > Software > Autodesk Maya
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 04-28-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
cadc
portfolio
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Unhappy Maya finger joints refuse to stay after being moved

Ok, so yesterday I was working on an animation that requires the use of hand joints and finger joints. Everything was going just fine, I had full control of the fingers and everything.

The last thing I did was create a set driven key to manipulate actions with the fingers for hand gestures, that worked fine too..

the next day, when I open the program, I noticed that one of my fingers was off, so I thought "ok, I'll fix that" but then, when I try to move any of the finger joints, they just move back to their original position and completely refuse to stay in place after I move them...

I have no idea what's causing this problem, and its really hindering me from progressing on this animation... if anyone has any idea, please let me know...

Old 04-30-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
jgibz
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Jack Gibbons
USA

How are the fingers setup? when you created your sdks to create hand poses did you key the bones themselves? Are the joints already constrainted to controls? I recommend using a referenced file for your rig, it's safer and easier than making rig changes in an animation file.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:20 AM   #3
cadc
portfolio
United States Minor Outlying Islands

I appreciate the response

anyways, I'm fairly new to joints and rigging, so don't expect me to know the technicalities of it..

anyways, after testing stuff out, I determined that the cause of my problem was the set driven keys I had applied to the finger joints.

well, while its not the most practical solution, I just resolved to simply add more set driven key manipulations to work around the issue, so i'm ok again at the moment.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
jgibz
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Jack Gibbons
USA

You should let your controls drive the joints and set driven keys on parents of your controls.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread