Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 04-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #1
John Keates
Fiddler

john keates
United Kingdom

modeling toolkit keyboard shortcuts?

I can't find a list of keyboard shortcuts anywhere. Do we really have to use icons all the time?

When I use the marking menu (shift + rmb) to select a tool like extrude or bevel, the modeling tookit turns off.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
klaudio2u
Expert

portfolio
Klaudio
Croatia

You can find them all in user guide..they are not all in one place but are there.
--> http://download.autodesk.com/global...mber=d30e185723

If modeling toolkit turns off then set it in preferences on "Auto-Activate Modeling Toolkit" ..sometimes even when this option is "on" it stays "off" after using some of other tools that are not under Toolkit...if that is the case then just press "Q" to exit the tool you were just using and modeling toolkit will auto-activate if you are in or enter component mode.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
John Keates
Fiddler

john keates
United Kingdom

I can't see any keyboard shortcuts mentioned there. For example, what are the shortcuts for bevel or extrude?

Old 04-26-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
John Keates
Fiddler

john keates
United Kingdom

Also, even if I use "auto activate toolkit" then simple things like bevel from the marking menu still de-activate the modeling toolkit. This makes the toolkit borderline useless because, for these simple tools it is slower than maya (unless there is some secret shortcut).

Old 04-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
klaudio2u
Expert

portfolio
Klaudio
Croatia

Extrude, bevel, connect, bridge and all those in modeling toolkit doesn't have shortcuts assigned by default so you have to assigned them by yourself in Hotkey Editor.

For example i have assigned shift-alt combinations and then "x" for extrude, "c" for connect, "w" for target-weld and "e" for multi-cut which are what i use the most..the rest of them i just click the button when needed.

Modeling toolkit requires some time to get used to, that is for sure, but once you set up shortcuts that you feel most comfortable to use modeling goes a lot faster then before...at least it is for me.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:54 PM   #6
John Keates
Fiddler

john keates
United Kingdom

OK, thanks for that. Hotkey editor it is then!

I really want to make this work, otherwise it is back to Silo (not that I don't love it there).

Old 04-27-2013, 06:10 AM   #7
djx
Where's my pony?

David Johnson
vfx & creature td
Melbourne, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaudio
Modeling toolkit requires some time to get used to, that is for sure, but once you set up shortcuts that you feel most comfortable to use modeling goes a lot faster then before

I agree.
When I started using NEX (several years ago) there were some vital demonstration movies that showed some really good workflows using hotkeys. It would be great if they (autodesk that is) provided something like this to help people make the most of the new toolkit, because without these hotkeys your workflow will suffer.
I have not had a chance to set up my maya 2014 prefs. I'll be very disappointed if the modelling toolkit has been forgotten from a hotkey perspective.

David

Old 08-29-2013, 06:09 PM   #8
AndrewHwang
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Andrew Hwang
Modeler
Los Angeles, USA

here is a nice marking menu script someone wrote. I am playing with it now. seems pretty useful

http://www.braverabbit.de/playground/?p=982

Old 08-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #9
DutchDimension
Think different

portfolio
Dutch Dimension
DMP/Environment Artist
MPC
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by djx
I agree.
When I started using NEX (several years ago) there were some vital demonstration movies that showed some really good workflows using hotkeys. It would be great if they (autodesk that is) provided something like this to help people make the most of the new toolkit, because without these hotkeys your workflow will suffer.
I have not had a chance to set up my maya 2014 prefs. I'll be very disappointed if the modelling toolkit has been forgotten from a hotkey perspective.

David

There is a special 'Modeling Toolkit' category in the Hotkey Editor that's filled to the brim with MTK commands. You needn't fear.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #10
AndrewHwang
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Andrew Hwang
Modeler
Los Angeles, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchDimension
There is a special 'Modeling Toolkit' category in the Hotkey Editor that's filled to the brim with MTK commands. You needn't fear.

wonderful, thank you!

Old 08-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #11
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread