modeling toolkit keyboard shortcuts?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04 April 2013   #1
modeling toolkit keyboard shortcuts?

I can't find a list of keyboard shortcuts anywhere. Do we really have to use icons all the time?

When I use the marking menu (shift + rmb) to select a tool like extrude or bevel, the modeling tookit turns off.
 
Old 04 April 2013   #2
You can find them all in user guide..they are not all in one place but are there.
--> http://download.autodesk.com/global...mber=d30e185723

If modeling toolkit turns off then set it in preferences on "Auto-Activate Modeling Toolkit" ..sometimes even when this option is "on" it stays "off" after using some of other tools that are not under Toolkit...if that is the case then just press "Q" to exit the tool you were just using and modeling toolkit will auto-activate if you are in or enter component mode.
 
Old 04 April 2013   #3
I can't see any keyboard shortcuts mentioned there. For example, what are the shortcuts for bevel or extrude?
 
Old 04 April 2013   #4
Also, even if I use "auto activate toolkit" then simple things like bevel from the marking menu still de-activate the modeling toolkit. This makes the toolkit borderline useless because, for these simple tools it is slower than maya (unless there is some secret shortcut).
 
Old 04 April 2013   #5
Extrude, bevel, connect, bridge and all those in modeling toolkit doesn't have shortcuts assigned by default so you have to assigned them by yourself in Hotkey Editor.

For example i have assigned shift-alt combinations and then "x" for extrude, "c" for connect, "w" for target-weld and "e" for multi-cut which are what i use the most..the rest of them i just click the button when needed.

Modeling toolkit requires some time to get used to, that is for sure, but once you set up shortcuts that you feel most comfortable to use modeling goes a lot faster then before...at least it is for me.
 
Old 04 April 2013   #6
OK, thanks for that. Hotkey editor it is then!

I really want to make this work, otherwise it is back to Silo (not that I don't love it there).
 
Old 04 April 2013   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaudio
Modeling toolkit requires some time to get used to, that is for sure, but once you set up shortcuts that you feel most comfortable to use modeling goes a lot faster then before

I agree.
When I started using NEX (several years ago) there were some vital demonstration movies that showed some really good workflows using hotkeys. It would be great if they (autodesk that is) provided something like this to help people make the most of the new toolkit, because without these hotkeys your workflow will suffer.
I have not had a chance to set up my maya 2014 prefs. I'll be very disappointed if the modelling toolkit has been forgotten from a hotkey perspective.

David
__________________
http://www.djx.com.au
 
Old 08 August 2013   #8
here is a nice marking menu script someone wrote. I am playing with it now. seems pretty useful

http://www.braverabbit.de/playground/?p=982
__________________
www.andrewhwang.com

 
Old 08 August 2013   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by djx
I agree.
When I started using NEX (several years ago) there were some vital demonstration movies that showed some really good workflows using hotkeys. It would be great if they (autodesk that is) provided something like this to help people make the most of the new toolkit, because without these hotkeys your workflow will suffer.
I have not had a chance to set up my maya 2014 prefs. I'll be very disappointed if the modelling toolkit has been forgotten from a hotkey perspective.

David


There is a special 'Modeling Toolkit' category in the Hotkey Editor that's filled to the brim with MTK commands. You needn't fear.
__________________
"Even the Christmas vacation will be darkened by New Zealand scripts…"
~ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter 34
 
Old 08 August 2013   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchDimension
There is a special 'Modeling Toolkit' category in the Hotkey Editor that's filled to the brim with MTK commands. You needn't fear.


wonderful, thank you!
__________________
www.andrewhwang.com

 
Old 08 August 2013   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.