Batch Rendering with huge poly count

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
Batch Rendering with huge poly count

Hello everyone,

Is there an issue with maya and/or vray rendering huge polycounts? I have a A LOT of nurbs surfaces running along a curve. I can render a still frame but batch render constantly crashes.

I have also tried converting the nurb surfaces with animation along curve (extrusion) to polygons. Still crashes on batch render.

What is the difference in computation when I hit batch render over just render "this frame"?

Does maya try to load up all the geometry first? If I were to perhaps use alembic to cache out the animation, would this help the rendering process by letting the computer load frame on frame during render?

Is there a workaround or solution?

I am using Maya2013 and Vray 2.3. 16GB of ram on 64bit. I am however using linear workflow and rendering 16bit EXRs.

Help! thanks in advance.

Old 04 April 2013   #2
could it be possible that batch is running out of ram and you have to specify a higher limit? might want to take a look at your command line options and how much ram your particular SKU of batch host OS allows. This is the main reason why a normal render succeeds and a batch fails.

also, if you are using any cuve driven scenes with history, make sure that in your scene there isnt a frame where a divide by 0 could happen. This happens often with live objects and procedural animation. always clamp to a slightly non zero number for parameters that affect geometry.

Old 05 May 2013   #3
But in batch rendering, is there a way to make sure maya just keeps chugging. I mean, essentially, there is enough to render one frame, so if it flushes the memory at each frame, it could essentially start again.

What would be considered divide by 0? Like motion path should start at 0.001 instead of 0. So play with the visibility and then start animation from 0.001 till like 0.99999 instead of 1?

Old 05 May 2013   #4
can you render frame by frame with a step size of 1?

Old 05 May 2013   #5
I found out the issue was because we were trying to use DR which has to run through each frame prior to render. Also, I had a huge bunch of nurbs (though hidden) which I think still gets translated prior to rendering.

Thanks for all the tips guys!

Old 05 May 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread