Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 04-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
LordRaidis
Veteran
Angelo Vildasol
---, USA

Offsetting animation keys in MAYA vs MAX

So I'm moving from Max into Maya and I'm just trying to figure out how to offset a full line of animation, so that the first key value starts at 0 (or any other arbitrary value).

In Max, all you have to do is simply turn off auto-key, move, rotate or scale and it's done. But in Maya, the object simply snaps right back into place. I know I could go into the graph editor and manually move the entire curve by hand, but that is incredibly cumbersome in some cases.

Is there a better/easier way to do this? I'm sure there has to be

Old 04-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #2
thehive
Expert
portfolio
Eric Robert
animator/ illustrator
work/\holic Studios.com
Orlando, United States

can try selecting everything group it then move it, should work

Old 04-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #3
LordRaidis
Veteran
Angelo Vildasol
---, USA

Hey, thanks for the response! Unfortunately I'm not sure that's going to work as I'm needing to do this with bones on a character rig...

Old 04-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
LordRaidis
Veteran
Angelo Vildasol
---, USA

In short, I'm copying animations from one bone to another, but the initial offset value is off and I need an easy way to set the initial pose to zero without the hassle of having to highlight and move tons of curves around.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:55 AM   #5
zaskar
Expert
portfolio
franky****inFourFingaz
-
Dresden, Germany

You will need to edit the curves itself, but there is an easier method than moving the curves manually. Inside the GraphEditor you can select all keys and type something like "-=2.5" into the value/time field. Maya handles this as a command to subtract 2.5 from all the keys. Its still some hassle but much more accurate if you know the offset values.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:22 PM   #6
LordRaidis
Veteran
Angelo Vildasol
---, USA

So the curve editor is really the only way to do this eh? Alrighty then, thanks for the helpful tips folks! Mucho appreciated...

Old 04-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #7
Mark-J
Know-it-All

portfolio
Mark Jackson
CEO & Founder
Red9 Consultancy
United Kingdom

There's also the dopesheet you can move keys round in, or select your nodes that are keyed and shift select the keys in the timeline, you'll get a red bar that allows you to shift the keys on mass....or down load Red9 StudioPack, which has a ton of features for making stuff like this much easier.

Mark

Old 04-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #8
animatedfox
what the ?!?!

portfolio
Benjamin Fox
Seat 43
USA

The time slider is one of the most powerful over looked animation tools in Maya. If you are anti-graph editor split view, select the objects with curves you want offset then just hold down shift and LMB or MMB to drag and hilight a section of the timeslider that you want to offset. Use the little arrows in the middle of the hilighted section to slide selected area the arrows on the ends will let you scale the selection. To just edit a single or specific channels, change your Time Slider Preferences from Active to Channel Box. Then you will only see keys in the Time Slider if you have channels hilighted in the Channel Box...and therefore those will be the only channels you edit in the Time Slider.
I think it is a very good way to work once you get used to it.
Hope that helps.
~Ben

Old 04-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
LordRaidis
Veteran
Angelo Vildasol
---, USA

Definitely helping for sure! Great advice from everyone here--I've done a little bit of everything that's been suggested and so far so good. Thanks for the input folks! Hopefully this thread can help other people going through the MAX/MAYA transition.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread